Walther GSP sights

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

rstriano

Walther GSP sights

Post by rstriano »

Anybody know the instructions for removing the rear sight on a walther GSP 32 cal? Got a red dot moint and can't figure out how to get the rear sight off. Thanks
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Why? It is considerably easier to obtain or modify (mill flat) a pair of Weaver bases, one higher than the other and mount them behind and forward of the rear sight - at least that is what we have mostly done up here in the great white north. If you have to remove the sight, note that there are two LONG and fragile screws to either side of the windage adjuster - these need to be removed so the sight can be taken off.
If you worry about it, weaver bases when cut down appropriately will allow the iron sights to continue in use if the scope is taken off.

Dr Jim
fc60

Rear Sight

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Remove the two screws (43) on either side of the the windage adjusting screw (40).

Carefully note the position of all the plates (42) and shims (41) during disassembly.

Unscrew the windage screw (40) and remove it.

Carefully slide out the two guide rails (38).

The housing should lift off, again, do not let the spring (39) escape.

The elevation screw (37) does not need to be moved.

Refrain from drilling and tapping the upper housing. While more rigid, it diminishes the appearance and resale value of your pistol. The scope rail sold by Walther looks flimsy but does work. Do not overtighten any screws of the scope adapter to prevent swaging the holes in the upper receiver where the original sight rails go.

Cheers,

Dave
Attachments
GSP_Sight.pdf
(5.27 KiB) Downloaded 459 times
rstriano

sights

Post by rstriano »

Awesome. Thank you!
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Dave is correct about the procedure. However, I point out that doing it that way means the top unit is firmly devoted to NRA bullseye. Since many, if not most, Canadians will use the GSP for both NRA and ISSF, a large number of our GSPs have been drilled and tapped for mounts. Other options are having two top units, one for each discipline, or the barrel cum dovetail extended mount produced by a fellow in Saskatchewan. I didn't like the latter option as it put the scope very far forward and resulted in an extreme muzzle heavy condition. And, of course, Brownells sells filler screws to place in the holes if the mounts are permanently removed. As always, its your gun and your decision.

Cheers Dr Jim
rstriano

mounts

Post by rstriano »

Thanks so much and i realized what Dr Jim was saying about deictaed shooting, however, now that i haqve mounted the Walther adapter from Earl's Repair it seems an easy step, to just remove it and put the rear sights back on.

Isn't that an option or is there something else i don't know?

Remember i am new.
fc60

Replacing Sights

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Replacing the rear sight is not difficult once you are experienced with the procedure. The difficult part is finding your zero again.

If you shoot any ISU/UIT matches, I would leave the iron sights as is and forget the scope.

A trip to the eye doctor and a prescription for shooting glasses may be the best route. Measure the distance from the tip of your nose to the front sight and give this value to the Doctor. Adjust the machine for best focus at this distance.

Cheers,

Dave

Previous Scope Shooter now Iron Sighter.
rstriano

sights

Post by rstriano »

thanks for all the advice. for me it doesn't take but a few clicks on the rest to zero and what i want is the sight picture that gives me the tightest consistency so i shoot both ways. definately feel more traditional with iron but technolgy also provides a big edge and there must be a reason they are used so often.

i have MCP making me a new 45 so we'll see. i know at my club the guys with optics shoot better.