Is it customary to wear 2 shirts underneath shooting jacket?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Jenni

Is it customary to wear 2 shirts underneath shooting jacket?

Post by Jenni »

Hello shooters,

I tried wearing 2 shirts underneath my shooting jacket yesterday & felt more comfortable & Stable in training.
But is it legal to do so ?

Any info is appreciated (:
Jenni
justadude

Post by justadude »

Jenni,

It depends on which rules you are shooting under. If you are shooting under ISSF/USAS rules you are limited to underclothing thickness of 2.5mm when compressed with their little tester. The same would apply under NRA International Rifle Rules.

On the USAS website under resources, click on rules and go to the rifle section. Look for rule 7.4.7.10.1 and 7.4.7.10.2 for information on underclothing.

If you are shooting NRA conventional competition you can put so much under clothing you look like the Michelin Tire Man.

While the recent trends in international shooting have been toward thinner purpose built "technical" underclothing the practice for decades in many circles was two sweatshirts under the shooting jacket.

Good Luck

'Dude
ZD

Post by ZD »

Most shooter wear a long sleeve spandex top followed by a sweatshirt (personal opinion, it is a lot easier to use a sweatshirt without a hood). If you really want to spend the money, you can buy an official shooting sweater from sauer of Anschutz, but there over 100 dollars. As far as I am concerned, a sweatshirt works just fine for me. If you use a full set of leathers, most shooters wear a full set of spandex.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Final thought, unless they are extremely plush a double layer of most sweatshirts will pass the 2.5mm thickness test.

'Dude