SP Thumbs-down grip for Lefty's - Grip Modifications?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
chuckjordan

SP Thumbs-down grip for Lefty's - Grip Modifications?

Post by chuckjordan »

I'm a newer (left handed) SP shooter, started this Spring. I've been doing research and reading for improvements to my: form, posture, and grip. I've been reading the Grip & Gripping article by pistol coach, Vladimir Chichkov (USA Shooting News, March/April 2011). A good read, however, author mentions gripping a 'thumbs down' for SP. How can this be performed with unaltered grips? I can barely keep my thumb-up in the thumb-groove.

My questions has to do with the grips themseleves (not the technique);
1) how can the thumbs-down gripping technique be applied since the thumb groove keeps the finger joint/digit in the groove?
2) Do other LH shooters have the same issue?

I keep looking at the (Left handed) Morini grips on my Steyr LP2 and my Morini CM22RF and can't understand why my (Left) thumb doesn't fit (lay flat) into the thumb groove? I have to use the thumbs-up grip. Here's the thumb-side of my grip. I have to do a thumbs-up to keep it in the groove. It's the same between the Morini grips (Steyr LP2 & Morini CM22RF). I don't have Rinks to compare.

Here is my attempt at the thumbs-down, it doesn't feel comfortable at the joint/digit.

Yes, I can take a dremel to the thumb-side of the grip, but, I haven't seen pictures of others doing that. Have others modified the thumb-side of their grips? Or is my thumb the problem?

Thanks,
Chuck
Limator

Thumbs

Post by Limator »

Hi,
I did it (use a Dremel) to my Steyr LP10 Rink grip, I'm also left handed.
Tomorrow I'll try to post a picture.
chuckjordan

Thanks

Post by chuckjordan »

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to the pic!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Yes people do modify the thumb side of the grip.
Even if your thumb is the problem I think you'd find it far easier and comfortable to modify the grip than your thumb.
ammagad

Post by ammagad »

i tried the thumb down mod on my morini cm22m, and learned that when i shoot rapid fire it was an advantage, but in presision shooting i got to much tension from my hand into the gun. caused me to shake alot more, and difficult to get a good triggerpull.

i have now my thumb in the same direction as my barrel.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

It's difficult to tell from photographs but I get the impression that, because of the back top corner of the grip, you are not getting your hand into the grip properly. You seem to be coming in from the side instead of from behind.

If I'm right then that would automatically place your thumb in the wrong place in relation to the grip. Whether you then adopted a thumbs down grip would be a different matter but you need to get the starting point right.

I think your first step should be to get the grip checked by someone who is more experienced with target pistol grips.
chuckjordan

Post by chuckjordan »

David, it does appear that I wasn't gripping properly. I unfortunately was doing this solo by gripping the Morini and snapping photo's. My wrist was cocked. I'll see of the wife will snap some photos of me.

I'd like to travel to Germany or Austrailia for and get a set of custom grips. Not to say there isn't anyone in the US. Anybody know of someone near or in Virginia?

Ammagad, I just can't lay the thumb in the groove. It will not fit. Thumbs-up is OK.

Now the pics were of a Morini, but, I get the same problem with my Steyr LP2. I'll get more pics in 1-2 days.

Thanks for the feedback, check back in 1-2 days and I'd like more!

Chuck
scerir

Re: SP Thumbs-down grip for Lefty's - Grip Modifications?

Post by scerir »

chuckjordan wrote:1) how can the thumbs-down gripping technique be applied since the thumb groove keeps the finger joint/digit in the groove?
as far as I remember Mauro Badaracchi did not modify his grip or thumb groove ....
http://www.armietiro.it/badaracchi-si-r ... oro-in-p10
Limator

Images

Post by Limator »

I did a small work to my Steyr LP10 and my Hammerli 150 to make it more confortable.

Image[/url]

It is more pronounced here in the LP10.

As any grip, still unfinished...
[]´s
chuckjordan

Pics with me in ready position

Post by chuckjordan »

Limator, thank you for the pics.

I had the wife snap some pics of me while I was holding as I would shoot.

First is a pic of the Steyr LP2, what you don't see is my thumb riding on the ridge (the joint in my thumb will not bend to fit in the thumb groove made by the Morini grip maker). Sorry for the poor photo.

And here I am holding the CM22RF, this photo clearly shows my thumb on the outer ridge of the thumb groove. I just cannot bend my thumb to fit in the groove.

OK, I know what I need to do and it's called modify the thumb-hold on the grips. I know many people modify the palm area of their grips, but, I haven't see many writings about people modifying the thumb groove. That was my reason for the post.

Thanks all (I'm still open should you have any other modifications to the thumb groove).

Chuck