beginner help please

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

beginner help please

Post by toddinjax »

Okay:
1) gripping the pistol - if I set the back of the pistol in the web of my hand, I can line it up so the barrel runs pretty much straight in line with the top of my arm, like an extension of the bone. Then I have to cock my hand a little to the right to look through the sights. Doing this, my fingers come around the front of the grips, and just start to wrap around the left side of the grip. This leads to contact at the front of the grip and the back, but little contact along the side of the grip. Is this what I should be doing or... 2) the other option seems to set the grip a little "deeper" into the hand, giving more contact at the side, along with the front and back. This sets the sights more readily in line with my eye without bending my wrist.

3) Sights: If you're shooting indoors with no wind...should the rear sight be set dead center for "windage" or does it need to be moved due to the fact that you're holding the pistol as in 1) stated above.

Any basic rookie info on grip and adjusting the sights would be appreciated.

Your thoughts and comments please.
Rover

Post by Rover »

#2 sounds good to me.

Adjust the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go...determined by where the shots are hitting on the target. Do not "chase" your shots. Shoot a group of 10 or more and adjust the sight from the center of the group. You will need to do this several times to have a good "zero".

I find it helps to think of pulling the front sight through the rear with the trigger without disturbing the alignment.

I'm sure others will chime in.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Does not matter indoor or outside, you adjust the sight to put the groups where you want it to go.
As was said, pull the trigger STRAIGHT BACK. If you pull or push the trigger to the side, you will have a problem keeping consistent groups.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

Fwiw, here are two video tutorials on Pistol Shooting Basics by Efim Khaidurov, the guy who created the TOZ-35 and other record breaking target arms.

http://tinyurl.com/3jvsx5l

http://tinyurl.com/3qsj6st
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Good to see some early videos. Things may have changed a little, but the basics are all there.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Thank you for that. I really appreciate the info and I'm sure I'll refer back several times for repeat viewings. With that said, I have to say, the musician in me cannot help but wonder who was the nut case who paired up those vids with THAT music!
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

I'm going to chime in here with a comment that virtually all flyers are caused by anticipation of the shot, causing the subconscious mind to perform a rapid and tiny muscle twitch of some sort. Many of these twitches are expressed through the fingers, and the tips of the fingers. The fact that most custom ergonomic grips are designed to keep your fingertips OFF the gun is not coincidence. When I shoot my .45, where the grip is extremely slab-sided and the tendency to anticipate is pretty strong, I only hold it forcefully along the front and back straps.

Oftentimes what prevents you from moving the trigger straight back is anticipation, not the angle of the gun in your hand.