Dist. Revolver load

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

SMBeyer

Dist. Revolver load

Post by SMBeyer »

We are going to shoot a distinguished revolver match and I have not loaded any 38's for almost 25 years.

What I have here at home is Star 158gr. LRN and either Bullseye or 231 powder.

Anybody have a suggestion for a load to use with these components?

Thanks, Scott
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Scott, The one common denominator seems to be that they have to go at a pretty zippy pace to be accurate. Somewhere around 800 fps and that is tough to do with a fast powder but worth a try. For 50 yards, I use a RCBS 150 and shoot it at a .1 grain over a max load with WST which isn't much different than the 231 and Bullseye. When I see you at Highland, I will bring some of those bullets because for me they have been far and away the best that I have used rivaling even HBWC bullets. Do you have a place where you shoot to properly anchor a Ransom Rest. -- Bill --
trulyapostolic

Post by trulyapostolic »

I personally load 3.1 gr. of Bullseye behind a Zero 158gr. SWC, while some of my shooting buddies load upwards of 3.4-3.5 gr. of Bullseye. I found when I tested 3.4 gr. loads that they weren't as accurate as the 3.1 gr. It's not X-ring accurate but well within the 10-ring at 50 yards.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

In my Colt Officers Model Match 3.3 gr. American Select provides 770 fps and 3.5 gr. American Select provided 795 fps with a cast 158 gr. LRN. The 3.5 gr. load has been the most accurate I have produced but still not as good as the Federal factory 158 gr. LRN load.
penman53

38 special DR load

Post by penman53 »

I just loaded up a bunch of 158 grain Remington semi wadcutters and I loaded the case with 2.8 grains of good old Bullseye. My friend used the same load to get distinguished.

This is my first time out of the box. I just procurred a beautiful K38 masterpiece and I plan on shooting it alot.

Mark, Edmond Ok
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Penman, When you get all set, try those loads at 50 yards because where they might be fine at 25 I doubt seriously if they will be OK at 50 yards. A 158 needs to be going right at 800 fps or a bit more for 50 and that might mean a slower powder to do it. I shot a lot of these from a Ransom Rest and some can shoot pretty croocked. If you are staying at 25 yards, don't worry about. In general you can expect your 14-2 to be more accurate than a 3 or 4.
ghillieman

DR load

Post by ghillieman »

The rules say it has to be a "standard velocity" and while I'm sure you could get away with a lot less, as I've never seen them chrony loads, I load them close to factory velocity. I load 158's with 3.5 grains of Winchester WST, which has the same burn rate as bullseye. Accuracy, if you can call your shots at 50 and shoot a 94-4, they're on.
jackh

Re: DR load

Post by jackh »

ghillieman wrote:The rules say it has to be a "standard velocity" and while I'm sure you could get away with a lot less, as I've never seen them chrony loads, I load them close to factory velocity. I load 158's with 3.5 grains of Winchester WST, which has the same burn rate as bullseye. Accuracy, if you can call your shots at 50 and shoot a 94-4, they're on.
Not sure where it might say "standard Velocity"

3.1.4(e) Ammunition - Any safe .38 caliber ammunition using the 158 grain round nose or Semi-Wadcutter bullet only.
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

Thanks for clearing that up Jack, I must be thinking of the old ammo rule. Now I can tune mine down some.
ciscovt

DR Loads

Post by ciscovt »

Last week I was testing a variety of charges with my cast 158gr SWC and WST powder at 50yds from the bench. 3.3gr was the highest I tested and it shot easily within the ten ring. Sort of surprisingly 2.8 of WST shot almost as good, but the groups opened up with 2.9, 3.0 and 3.1WST, but tightened back the most with 3.2. I will try 3.3 and 3.4 at a later date.
The real winner of the day with my S&W 14-2 was 3.4gr of Hogdon Titegroup using the Zero 158gr SWC swaged bullet. My training partner had loaded these and asked me to test them. On the 50 slow fire target I shot 6-Xs 3-10's and 1-9 which was just out. the dispersion was horizontal, not really vertical. Remember this was from the bench, using a 7 power scope (no ransom rest) and not the best rest, so some of the deviation was me, the shooter. Despite the shooter this combination was startling good.
Every revolver is going to like some combination that is particular to the gun. My testing that day spanned not being able to hold the black to virtually X ring accuracy. It is worth taking the time to do the testing. This was also a testament to the Zero swaged bullet.

Scott
Vermont