air rifle shooting clothing

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

plop

air rifle shooting clothing

Post by plop »

In the olympics all of the competitors have the best equipment and I suspect the senior nationals are no different. But in college most of us are barely making ends meet and many want to take up sports but can't afford all of the bells and whistles. At a bare minimum I can probably buy a used air rifle but the clothing is a killer. Besides, getting a used jacket, shoes, pants, glasses, gloves, straps, etc. would likely result in a hodge podge of various used equipment that wouldn't fit properly and wouldn't likely improve my scores anyhow.

I was wondering if many show up in normal athletic wear like a jogging suit at the college nationals? Any help and suggestions is appreciated. Just don't want to show up looking like poor fool without the right gear. BTW, I don't shoot super high scores, just want to participate at the nationals before I graduate.
justadude

Post by justadude »

You say "college nationals" The only thing I can think of is you are referring to the NRA Collegiate Sectionals where the same match is held in numerous locations and all scores compiled in one results bulletin. That is open to anyone, regardless of ability level. Is this what you are referring too?

The other end is the NCAA Collegiate Championships, where you have to be part of an NCAA Rifle Team in which case, if you did not have it the school would probably have something around that you could use. Then if I recall correctly your school has to be invited to the championships.

A jogging suit would likely be technically legal but offers little of the critical padding or support. You would be better off with used jacket and pants that fit reasonably well. If they did not color match, who cares if you are shooting.

'Dude
plop

Post by plop »

Please excuse my ignorance about the AR sport, I'm a total nube. I don't even own a rifle (yet) only borrowing at the moment. Doubt that I can afford all of the gear but want to know how other college students do it who aren't on teams but have a desire to learn.

After graduation I'll probably have more $ but not the time. Right now I have the time but limited $. However, if I don't strike when the iron's hot and actively get involved with sports while I can I'll end up being one of those people who say ".... woulda coulda shoulda". The $ will come later, youth is fleeting.
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

On most top level NCAA rifle teams you will see most of the top level gear. I know that the whole of my team (JSU) has custom suits for various makers. And for most of the top colleges that will be the norm. At NCAA champs this year, I can not think of one person that did not have a custom suit. But I know several shooters that do not shoot any better with the custom stuff than they did with off the rack stuff and if something has been taken care of it will not matter too much if it has been used.

If you are thinking about college club rifle shooting you still see most people with full suits but not all of them are custom. You almost have to get the full suit to be competitive just because everyone has one.

Sadly rifle is not a cheap sport; sorry if this bursts your bubble...
justadude

Post by justadude »

Plop,

From your reply you would be looking at shooting the NRA Collegiate Sectionals. These are fired at various locations around the US in the February, March time frame. You would be firing in the collegiate club category. Note, your college or university does not have to have an official club for you to shoot in this category, it is merely a way of saying that you are not part of an NCAA team.

Now, B.T. is very correct, rifle shooting is not a cheap sport. Even some of the collegiate clubs shoot some pretty impressive scores, and once again as B.T. points out, even many of the "club" shooters will have full if not also custom suits. This is why I say in my original response that while something like a warmup suit might be legal in accordance with the rules it will fall short in several areas.

I will point out that Champions Choice http://www.champchoice.com/default.aspx
Has a decent line of off the rack collegiate rules legal jackets and pants. I think you could be dressed for under $300. This is apparently decent stuff and available now as opposed to trolling the used equipment boards for lord knows how long before you find the right stuff. (If you go the CC route I have heard the buttons are a bit of weak point so you would want to order some extras.)

You mentioned you are borrowing an air rifle, you did not mention if it is a full tilt precision AR or a really nice sporter. Realize that even at the collegiate club level a true precision AR is pretty much a requirement.

Basic gear might get you started but then how close are you to routine competition? While the equipment is expensive would your budget support travel to competition? Food, Fuel and lodging are also part of this and... not cheap either.

You have not mentioned if you are part of a local club (collegiate or othwise) but even though when you are on the line it is all on you it is a lot easier to develop if you have a few cohorts to shoot with, bounce ideas off from each other and offer moral support to one another.

Sorry if this continues the beating on your bubble but don't want you to get lots of $$$ sunk and find you still can't afford to do what you want.

'Dude
skylark

Post by skylark »

Plop,

Your best bet might be to talk to the person who you are borrowing the rifle from. Maybe he has upgraded all his kit and has a perfectly serviceable, albeit not brand new, set sitting unused at home? Maybe he knows someone who has, or who has grown out of it? And there's always ebay. Plus have you looked at the sales forum on here?

"a hodge podge of various used equipment" describes perfectly what my daughter uses. I don't think she has two items from the same manufacturer, let alone of the same colour. Some of it was my kit when I was a junior. She shoots internationally. If you want to go compete, go compete. Don't ever be put off by not being as colour coordinated as the next guy along.

I also know nothing about US competition (I'm in the UK) but are there collegiate sporter AR competitions? In sporter you aren't allowed fancy expensive kit - everyone would be wearing jogging suits or similar.
Dozo10

Post by Dozo10 »

Or, you could simply change the paradigm. Used equipment, less-than-Tenex ammo and taking full advantage of the training provided by coaches and fellow shooters will help you develop skills that will last a lifetime. Do what you can with what's available, then upgrade after college. Don't let the money game get in the way of the world's greatest sport.
--dozo46
tumwater, wa