Going from a LP10 to a 162EI short - backwards step?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Leon

Going from a LP10 to a 162EI short - backwards step?

Post by Leon »

I'm idly contemplating moving from a Steyr LP10 to a Morini 162EI short.

I'm not unhappy with the LP10 but I am finding the idea of the Morini's electronic trigger compelling.

Now, is this going to be a backwards step or not? Are they both of equal quality?
v76

Post by v76 »

Recently had a chance to choose either and went with the Morini because I preferred the electronic trigger. Didn't like the LP10 mech at all. You might wanna give the LP10E/compact a try if you already like your LP10.

On a 100% engineering point of view, there's many more bells & whistles on the LP10 but it seems they haven't done much for you if you're contemplating a switch.

Is it a step backwards or not... if you're not unhappy with your current situation you may find that staying in the "known" gear-wise would be a good thing and maybe find something to shock your training routine before trading a pistol that suits yourself perhaps a bit too much for a new toy.

All that said, I heard a lot of good things from shooters going to a compact pistol.
Rover

Post by Rover »

No one likes to play with new toys more than myself. That said, with a decent fit and quality I never noticed any increase in scores or increased pleasure in a different gun beyond a short time.

Go ahead and do what you will. I don't think it will matter. I'm convinced you can't buy points.

As my daughter used to say about her bubble gum..."I chewed the sweet out of it!"
lastman

Post by lastman »

It's really just a sideways step.

If you don't like the mechanical trigger on the LP10 look at the electronic models.

Good luck
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Both guns are of equally high quality.

One may suit you better than the other but only YOU can decide that.
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Whatever gun you choose, it is all down to having total confidence in the one that you are using.
The LP10E trigger has a totally different feel when compared to the LP10, but I am probably biased.
If you choose to change to a "short" version of whatever make, you will need to spend quite a while re-learning the feel and fit of the grip, the balance, the weight and the different sight radius.
This could be the extra challenge that will re-kindle your concentration and boost your confidence.
As David says, only YOU can decide.
RobStubbs

Re: Going from a LP10 to a 162EI short - backwards step?

Post by RobStubbs »

Leon wrote:I'm idly contemplating moving from a Steyr LP10 to a Morini 162EI short.

I'm not unhappy with the LP10 but I am finding the idea of the Morini's electronic trigger compelling.

Now, is this going to be a backwards step or not? Are they both of equal quality?
As others have said, only you can decide what suits you. But you need to actually try, both guns fully before buying - as mentioned their is also an LP10E (and a short version). It's certainly not a backwards step, unless you buy a gun you haven't tred and it doesn't fit or feel right. But at the same time it is unlikely to be a major forwards step either. The triggers are obviously different and the behaviour on firing is also different.

Rob.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

A gun is a gun is a gun.
The grip is the most important part. Get that part right and the rest will fall into place.
flolo

Post by flolo »

There's two "schools" in airpistol: stabilizer etc. Or not. If you like or better: need the stabilizer, keep the lp10. If not, switch to the morini.
When i started shooting again 3 years ago, i had to buy an lp10, scores went to about 370 the next 1,5 years. I also had to have an lp10e, scores went to 355. Then i swapped my old lp5 for a cm162ei, and now i' m shooting 370+, and i'll never look back. So you have to find out what suits you best. For me, the simpler the better.

P.s.: lp10 and lp10e are two totally dIfferent pistols. Trust me
Leon

Post by Leon »

I did it ! I did it !

New Morini 162EI Short arrived yesterday. After a short practice session last night, I couldn't be happier. The grip fits me like a glove and the overall feel and balance of the pistol is just right. Electronic trigger feels much better than the LP10 mechanical. Don't know how it would compare to the LP10E though...
Overall quality of construction, fit and finish is very high - on a par with the Steyr, maybe a little better.

One thing that did stand out - seems to propel pellets at a lower velocity than the LP10 - I can see some pellets arcing their way to the target. However, compared to a Pardini K2S I used to have, both the Morini and Steyr are quite pedestrian in the velocity department..
Rover

Post by Rover »

So crank that sucker up!

I'm shooting light pellets at 570fps with great accuracy in my Steyr, but heavies are only doing 525.
flolo

Post by flolo »

As i wrote before, i had 'em both: balance of the E is a little bit more towards the muzzle compared to the lp10, combined with the steyr- version of an electronic trigger, imho it's more difficult to shoot than the mechanical one. As you already realized, morinis are pretty easy to shoot, thanks to their design, Plus you could add a screw as a trigger-stop if you like.

Btw: if you're seeing the pellet fly , your focus is not(!) on your frontsight but somewhere between frontsight or target( or on the target)!
Changing velocity won't improve that! It's just a matter of concentration.
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

The normal muzzle velocity of the Morini is about 480-490fps. If you can get the "special" Morini pellets issued by Gehmann, you should be able to gain a little faster fps if that is essential.
The Steyr LP10 usually runs at about 530fps and the LP10E at about 545fps. However there is some adjustment on the Steyr to allow you to atttempt to fine tune the muzzle velocity to give the most consistent group dependant on the type and weight of pellets that are being used.
Just get used to shooting with your new pistol and do not worry too much about the muzzle velocity. Consistent trigger release and shot placement are more important.
flolo

Post by flolo »

Dear john, where' s your information from? According to the guys from steyr the velocity has to be set somewhere between 508 and 525 fps, otherwise the compensator will not work! So no v0 tuning on the lp10 except 5 m/s if you want it to work properly. Just take a look at the service videos on their website. And why should there be a difference in v0 on the lp10e?
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

The figures obtained, are the "as delivered" from the factory. My new LP10E runs at 545fps with H&N Finale Match Rifle pellets and a few belonging to others were tested and found to be the same, where as the LP10 when repaired by Steyr agent are set at 525-530fps.
I do not know the reason behind this.
If you change the pellet grade/weight then this will have an effect on the muzzle velocity, which you can then make suitable adjustments if so required.
The overall actual velocity is not as important as the variation in achieved group size. In the test bench, all of the shot placements from the LP10E have been within a very small group, sufficient to give a confidence boost that if you start the shot off correctly, the end result will be very consistent.
Leon

Post by Leon »

[quote="flolo"

Btw: if you're seeing the pellet fly , your focus is not(!) on your frontsight but somewhere between frontsight or target( or on the target)!
Changing velocity won't improve that! It's just a matter of concentration.[/quote]

That's an interesting observation and a valuable piece of advice. Thanks..
flolo

Post by flolo »

@john: funny, as this is even above the "wrong" velocity on their service-video, especially if you take into consideration, that if your 545 fps were with a 0,53g rifle pellet, then velocity would go up about 25 fps if you would use extra light pistol pellets like r10. Maybe just a problem of quality control...
By the way: they could also fix that left-right movement of the rear sight.

@ leon: had to learn it the hard way myself. If i saw a pellet flying, it was usually a 6/7/8 at 7/8 o' clock. There's also lots of advice on this forum for the morini
Bottom line: don't be afraid of working on your grip, find the right placement of the trigger, and you're in heaven.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I recently chronographed my Morini 162EI short with RWS R-10 light pellets. It averaged around 475 fps. Your Steyr barrel may have been longer than the Morini and that may be a factor in differences in velocity.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I have the Morini 162EI short and my pellets were tearing the targets the first match I attended. The target scorers complained to me so I cranked it up a little to fix the problem. No chronograph so I don't know the velocity, but as long as the pellets are cutting clean holes, there should be no velocity concerns.
Ben
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

I shoot a Morini 162EI as well and really like it. As you probably already know, the sight radius can be shortened but is just as long as the standard length Morini due to the design of the grip. I sometimes see the pellet when shooting pistol and rifle. Especially with pistol if the shot is way off. Like others said, if you see the pellet then you focus has changed from the sight to the target. Not a good thing.

I have heard people talking about adjusting guns to increase velocity in the past. What is the advantage of this suppose to be? Less time in the muzzle in case you don't have a good follow through? As long as your velocity is consistent would it make any difference?? Also, making an adjustment wouldn't have any effect on consitency in velocity would it???
Just trying to learn something new