problem with sons eye when shooting

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

riflefamily

problem with sons eye when shooting

Post by riflefamily »

My son shoots precision air rifle and says after shooting a little bit his sight picture gets fuzzy. We took him to get eyes checked and was a little problem so got glasses but still has problems with fuzzness from rear sight to front sight to target. Any ideas on anything we could do?
sbrmike

Post by sbrmike »

Breathing is my guess. Make sure he is breathing properly. The eyes are the first to go from lack of oxygen. Make sure he uses good breath control while aiming/ shooting and also to make sure he takes a few seconds and breathes while resing between shots.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

The rear aperture may also be too small, especially if it is the original equipment.

Try a variable rear aperture, or ream it slightly larger.
gtrisdale

Post by gtrisdale »

My daughter had a similar problem. Our optometrist thought it might be that her eyes were drying out and suggested that we use an eye lubricant. She started using Systane before shooting and it made a considerable difference. It might be worth trying. Be sure and use an eye lubricant and not one of the products designed for red eyes (Visine, Murine).
sbrmike

Post by sbrmike »

Also make sure the solution does not contain Beta Blockers. That is a banned substance or USA Shooting; actually ISSF.
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

When I shoot I have to make sure I am not over holding and staring at the bull. Make sure everything feels good, put your head down, and squeeze the trigger, don't stare at the bull. Your eye will get tired, dry and cause stress on the eyeball. Eye drops work, just visine, could also be the ventilation at the ranges, hat might help... Some ideas anyways.
gtrisdale

Post by gtrisdale »

Use the USADA web page to determine if a specifc brand of eye drops is legal. As an example, Systane is a legal, over the counter eye drop.
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

Make sure to drink a lot of water, he may be slightly dehydrated I had the same problem a while ago. Since than I have made sure to always drink lots of water.
Other than that check into what size he rear iris is set to like Pat was saying that could also be a problem.
skylark

Post by skylark »

This may sound obvious...but someone has told him that it's physically impossible to have everything in perfect focus at the same time, right?

If the foresight's sharp, the target will (and should) be a bit fuzzy.

I'd expect a bigger aperture to make that worse, not better. Though his eyes will get tired less quickly because there'll be more light around.