Advice badly needed on the Pelican and Pelican Storm cases

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

USMC0802

Advice badly needed on the Pelican and Pelican Storm cases

Post by USMC0802 »

They are both made by Pelican and they told me the Pelican is more heavy duty than the Storm. More of a commercial grade. I need to order something quick and might not have time to talk with Pelican again and am sure many of you have experience with the cases and what we use them for and how much protection is actually needed. Normally I would say you can't have too much protection but size and weight are major issues for me.

Who has experience with the Storm case? Would you put 2 $3000 rifles in a storm and fly with it internationally multiple times?

The problem I am facing is that the Pelican 1720 is 42" and the Storm 3200 is 44". Afraid 42 is cutting it too close. I could go with the larger Pelican 1750 but then I'm facing weight issues.

Wish I had one of each and could do a proper comparison but I'm sure one of you have done this so please give me some good advice.

Thanks,
Kerry
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Afraid I can't comment directly as I have never flown with my rifle. If the 42" is too close though, how about stripping the guns down ? Most / many shooters disassemble their guns for travel.

Rob.

Post by Guest »

You should really strip the rifle down, remove the barrel/action from the stock, buttplate,sights etc.
westerngriz

Post by westerngriz »

I use the Storm 3100? case. Its the short one. I love it and its built like a tank. I have the 500mm barrel on my rifle and my whole rifle fits in without having to take the action out of the stock. I have flown with it once and will fly again at the end of the month. I like it.
Best wishes,
Matt
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I would fly with either case, they are both good cases. As others have stated remove the actions from the stock, if the cases get torqued it gives less of a lever arm to break your stock.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I've seen shooters use Peli, Storm and SBS cases on training trips to Kuortane, coming from Trinidad, Canada and all over Europe. All the cases are perfectly able to protect the rifles inside of them (though I'd add my voice to the excellent recommendations to remove action from stock). Some folks think Peli are best, some Storm and some SBS. Personally, I have a Peli, but I'd use any of them quite happily.
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

I want to thank everyone for their input and responses. It was helpful. I do remove the sights and buttplates but haven't gone as far as removing the actions from the stocks.

I thought I was talking to someone from the pelican company the other day (website was pelican-case.com) and they stated the Pelican was more of a commercial grade and the storm was a slightly less grade. However, this is not correct. (Pelican makes the Storm as well as the Hardigg cases if you weren't aware).

I did get a chance to talk with customer service from the real Pelican company today. He informed me that one is no more rugged than the other and that either would protect the rifles equally as well. He stated that the finish between the Pelican and the Storm were slightly different and that the Storm has a push/pull latch (which is like the one that came with my Ans air rifle) and the Pelican has a fold down locking latch.

With that said, looks like I will go with the Storm 3200 with interior dimensions of 44x14x6 @ 21lbs. (the pelican 1720 is 42x13.5x5.25 @ 19lbs and the next size up is the pelican 1750 which is 50.5x13.5x5.25 @ 25.5lbs). If weight were not an issue the Storm 3220 looks like it would be a great case. Basically the same dimensions as 3200 except it is 8.5 inches deep instead of 6 but weighs 25lbs. I would think that extra depth and extra foam could only be a good thing but with that depth and the 14in wide interior, I bet you could put 3 rifles in a 3220 if you cut the foam to sit the rifles straight down into the case instead of laying them on their sides.

I know I added more detail in my response then most care to read but figured it might be useful for the next person on their quest for a quality case.

One last thing I found out and like about Pelican is that they offer a FREE Pelican or Storm case of your choosing to anyone from the coaliton forces who lost a limb while serving in OIF or OEF. Unfortunately I know many who qualify but almost all are as "good as new" and will be getting a free case now that I have found out about this program. http://pelican.com/PFP/index.php is the link for the program. Please pass this info on if you get a chance.
dmf

Post by dmf »

Hi Kerry, I've flown with my Pelican 1750 multiple times and never had a hitch. I'm assuming the other cases you mentioned are just as good.
I like the 1750 because 50" gives some extra berth inside the case. 44" should be fine if you take the butt plate off, but you might want to mark it off on the floor and see how your rifles would fit inside that space.
cheers
Dave
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

thanks for the comment Dave.
I really wanted to go with the 1750 but I would of been over the 50lb limit when flying with the 2 rifles and the other gear I put in the case.

I do take off the buttplates and sights.
davidd

STORM CASE

Post by davidd »

I have both but prefer the storm case. The latches appear to be better and the storm has wheels!
Both offer great service, get the largest case you can manage...I put my rifles in a drag bag and use only the top and bottom layers of foam.
I have palma/TR rifles.
davidd

STORM CASE

Post by davidd »

I have both but prefer the storm case. The latches appear to be better and the storm has wheels!
Both offer great service, get the largest case you can manage...I put my rifles in a drag bag and use only the top and bottom layers of foam.
I have palma/TR rifles.
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

10 year experience with the Storm....would not consider any other case to protect my equipment. Excellent product In all respects.
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

davidd
I'm glad to hear that you think the latches are great on the Storm. The peli rep mentioned that the latches on the peli may be more secure and stated that it might be possible for a latch to come open on the storm during extreme baggage handling. I'm pretty sure the storm latches are exactly like the ones on my Anschutz case and could see how it could come unlatched if bumped just right. The chance of more than one would be pretty rare I think. I have a hard enough time opening the similar latch on the Anschutz case even when I'm trying. I've had friends try and open the Ans case and couldn't even when I tried to explain how.

The pelican 1700 series cases I was considering have wheels as does the storm 3000 series.

I will have to try putting the rifles in a drag bag and then in the case. I was wondering if that could work since that is how I normally carry my rifles if I am not flying. The drag bags and the similar rectangular style cases with with the outside pockets and molle attatchements work great for packing my coat, scopes, tools, and all the other junk that travels to the range with me. I use a wheelchair full time and find it easier to carry the soft type cases (especially when using the backpack straps- providing I don't have it so loaded down that I can't get it over my shoulder which is normally the case)
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

USMC0802 wrote:I'm glad to hear that you think the latches are great on the Storm. The peli rep mentioned that the latches on the peli may be more secure and stated that it might be possible for a latch to come open on the storm during extreme baggage handling.
It might be possible, but I've never heard of it happening to all four latches on the 17xx series pelis.
The pelican 1700 series cases I was considering have wheels as does the storm 3000 series.
The 1700 might be a mite small for daily use. For international-only, it's excellent, but you do have to disassemble the rifle completely to get it to fit. However, if you do, it's the smallest of the 17xx series which means (a) it's lighter so less excess baggage charges, and (b) it's stronger (smaller frames are automatically stronger for a given material).

The 1750 is a bit of a monster. Massively heavy. On the other hand, it's able to take two full rifles if you have two layers of foam (custom-cutting is required).

And lastly, Storm are made by Peli now, but they weren't always - they used to compete until Peli bought them out a few years ago.
dmf

Post by dmf »

I'm having some trouble visualizing the drag bag inside the pelicase. It could work but would that require removing that expensive foam inside the case? cutting out the rifles in the foam helps keep them nice and snug.
Just curious can your drag bag be folded up in the rest of your luggage?

Whether or not how good the latches are, I would always ensure 1 or 2 sturdy locks on the outside of the case.

Dave
randy1952

Re: Advice badly needed on the Pelican and Pelican Storm cas

Post by randy1952 »

USMC0802 wrote:They are both made by Pelican and they told me the Pelican is more heavy duty than the Storm. More of a commercial grade. I need to order something quick and might not have time to talk with Pelican again and am sure many of you have experience with the cases and what we use them for and how much protection is actually needed. Normally I would say you can't have too much protection but size and weight are major issues for me.

Who has experience with the Storm case? Would you put 2 $3000 rifles in a storm and fly with it internationally multiple times?

The problem I am facing is that the Pelican 1720 is 42" and the Storm 3200 is 44". Afraid 42 is cutting it too close. I could go with the larger Pelican 1750 but then I'm facing weight issues.

Wish I had one of each and could do a proper comparison but I'm sure one of you have done this so please give me some good advice.

Thanks,
Kerry
I know what you are going through. I finally decided on a Strong or ICC Aluminum Gun Case as they are lighter and cheaper but are capable of protecting the gun. I tried a Pelican case for awhile, but it always felt like I was pulling a ton of bricks. Don't get me wrong it is a gun case that will protect your gun and is built heavier then a Storm case put the weight was the final deciding factor for me and in my opinion the airlines one day will probably take these rifle gun cases weight into account even though most of them don't today.

The Pelican case dose have on thing in it's favor over the aluminum case and that a built in valve for pressure relief, which is a nice feature if you have a wood stock, but if you take the action out of the stock then the plane's changing pressures would have less of an impact as the wood wouldn't be bending against the rigid metal structure of the action. One of the shipping companies did a study and they found that the wood stock guns are breaking at the pistol grip area of the stock because of the twisting motions that can occur during shipping. Therefore they recommended that the actions be taken out of the stock.

We have been using ICC and Strong cases here at the club for years and the guns have always come through intact. The cases have taken all sorts of punishment but other then some numerous scratches they are still going strong. The length of cases have been an issue for me as well as I needed a case that was somewhere between the standard vendor lengths of 44" and 52". For some reason they don't make anything in between. The 44" was cutting to close and the 52" was to long to fit in my Civic. The 52" case was leaning against the passenger window to fit in the car, which could have busted in the window if I hit a severe bump. ICC and Strong offered to modify one their standard cases to 47" and a width that was a couple of inches wider for about $50 more.

ICC used to have an advertisement showing a big 4 wheel drive pickup driving over their case and the gun still surviving intact. We use full foam in our cases instead of the egg type foam used in most cases as the gun won't move and eventually the foam will form to the gun. We could cut out the foam for a specific gun but then the foam is cut out for that gun and not another gun that maybe bigger and if it is smaller then it may give the gun a chance to start moving in the case. The club has guns that come in a number of different sizes so we stuck with the full foam.

I asked the ICC and Strong Companies why they started using egg foam in the tops of their cases instead of what used to be their standard full foam in both the top and bottom and he told me that the customers wanted the egg foam in top because it made it easier to shut the case. You can get the case with full foam but it has to be specified. The other thing that can be done is to strap the gun inside the gun case.

The Storm Case will probably do the job, but your stuck with the same standard lengths. The only other thing that would concern me would be that it uses egg foam, but most users just cut the foam out for their gun.
doughert@ptd.net

Storm cases

Post by doughert@ptd.net »

At work I have about 30 storm cases including IM3100, IM3300 and others. We ship them frequently all over the world using FedEx, UPS, trucking companies and as checked baggage on airlines. The reasons we have settled on the Storm cases are:

- Warranty is solid - we have had the wheels ripped off a couple times and they have always repaired or replaced the case.

- The location of the hasps (molded in) is better than the Pelican cases. When locked it is harder for someone to pry open the end of the case to peek inside.

- We load them with very heavy items and have never had one open accidentally.

- The clasps are better than the Pelican because they have a button in the center to release the clasp. Opening a pile of cases repeatedly each day is a PIA and the Storm clasps make life a little easier. We have never had one open accidentally or be torn open.

- Plastic cases are quieter than metal cases.

Pelican cases are fine but I think the Storm cases are better for the reasons mentioned above.

Regards...
jannypan

Post by jannypan »

Most / many shooters disassemble their guns for travel.Cheap WOW Items
Cheap RS Gold
WOW Items Gold
robf

Post by robf »

im using 3220's and dont dissassemble my rigs for international competition, even long haul.

my rigs are worth probably in the region of $6000 US, each, with scopes costing more than 1/2 of that... and i'm not worried.

nothing between peli and storm for me, i just went for the 3220 for the extra depth because of the potential for a hit on the sidewall is covered by the extra depth.

my rigs are big, and on the length they have about 1-2" left of clearance, yet i've not seen any POI shift at all in 3 trips.

if i had the choice, there's a peli which is longer and around the same depth as the 3220 which i would seriously think about, but we get screwed on the $/£ conversion, so they're more like $650 here instead of the $400 there. The 3220's have settled down to something more wallet friendly.

If you buy more than you need, stronger than you need, you wont need anything else, peli or storm.