Walther SSP experience

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Red Dogg

Walther SSP experience

Post by Red Dogg »

Can anyone out there provide their experience with this relatively new product? It sure does look sweet and while I have previously purchased guns for that reason alone, I sure would like to have the benefit of others' experience shooting one.

Thanks in advance everyone.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I also have made purchases on looks alone, and the SSP was one of those occassions.
My concerns however, were dispelled after the first few shots, and the pistol has proven itself to be a joy to own and use

Gary.
Red Dogg

Post by Red Dogg »

Thanks Gary. Any info you can provide on what ammo it likes or doesnt like??
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

There are two SSP's in our club, and both seem to digest alost any amo without complaint. I was using Eley club, but found that CCI sv worked as well without the extra cost.
Gort

Post by Gort »

I bought my SSP about a year ago, Great sights, ergonomics, and balance. The trigger is complex, but very good, I have mine adjusted with a little roll, like my Pardini. It has been very reliable, magazines are a little finicky to load. The only real drawback is the complexity of the design for cleaning, it is not simple to detail strip. If you have no mechanical aptitude, it is not the pistol for you. If you have a little gunsmith in you, it's a great pistol.
Gort
Makris D. G.

Post by Makris D. G. »

I really like the SSP.
I love the balance, and the trigger is quite simple to set up any way you want it if you read the manual.
I do not think it is complicated to disassemble.
More than some pistols, less than others.
Orpanaut

Post by Orpanaut »

Is the SSP really as "lightweight" as it's described by Walther?

Is it difficult to add weight to change the balance?
Makris D. G.

Post by Makris D. G. »

To me, it feels almost neutral, and there are alu, steel, and recoil damping muzzleweights to alter the balance.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

It is lightweight. at 970 gr it feels like an air pistol.In contrast my MG2 (non-rf version) weights 1070gr.It feels more muzzle heavy because it has the standard steel weight (the two gray plates in pics alone are 70gr) and as a result most of the pistols mass is just hanging there.
Orpanaut

Post by Orpanaut »

Is it difficult to remove the magazine? I'm used to letting gravity help get a magazine out of the well but that obviously won't work with the SSP design unless the pistol is turned upside-down.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

No you just lock the slide back and push the big mag release button on the
Left side of the grip (right hand model) and the mag just pops up.
Orpanaut

Post by Orpanaut »

How are the stocks? Are the ones from the factory good or do most shooters replace them?
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

their feeling is like the grips found in walther's lp300 pistol. i would say they are a very good start. one "advantage" of the pro-touch system is that walther sells this protouch paint. that way you can sand, fill and modify your grip to suit you, then aply a coat of the protouch paint and it will look like it came from the factory.