Anschutz 2013 or 1913 for prone match

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

adds033

Anschutz 2013 or 1913 for prone match

Post by adds033 »

Whats the best barrelled action for prone 2013 or 1913???
Considering a new 2013 or 1913 barrelled action, just wondering if the 2013 is worth the extra money?? The barrel indexing thing sounds like a real accuracy benefit. Any advice appreciated!!!
ADDS033
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

adds033 wrote:Whats the best barrelled action for prone???
The one that shoots the smallest groups... (Sorry, couldn't resist).

If I were in your position, I'd probably be looking for a second hand 2013 - possibly with a shot out barrel that I could replace with a drop in replacement like a Lilja with a cone breech.

From what I read elsewhere, torquing the barrel clamping bolts and the bedding bolts for best results can be quite specific on the 2013.
I'd love to be able to do some indexing experiments for myself one day. I've seen mixed results reported from "no difference" through to "significant improvement" - probably depending on how straight the barrel is to start with.

I suppose it depends on whether you want to shoot your rifle or tinker with it...
There's very little scope for tweaking the 1913 action. Just get it bedded properly if it's in a wooden stock.

Alternatively, don't dismiss the Walther and the Feinwerkbau.

K.
mobarron

Post by mobarron »

I've heard good things about the Walther and its Anatomic stock from a very good prone shooter. He particularly likes that he can load it without moving his elbow and he thinks the barrels are very good. Downside - I understand that you have to buy the complete rifle and it's 25% more than the Anschutz. However, it comes with sights .

I have a 2013 and it shoots very well (with an after-market barrel) but action torque can be a problem and if I had it to do again, I'd probably go with the 1913 or the Walther. Mike Barron
justadude

Post by justadude »

For most of us, either one would be fine.

Consider that Sergei Martynov (one of the best, if not the best prone shooter in the world right now) shoots what appears to be a 1913. Now I am sure his barrel is hand picked.

Either one would be a good choice and either one could be tuned to be outstanding.

'Dude
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I have a 2013. I like it. I dont think its the BEST action but it is one of the better ones. One of the coolest things is the rapid barrel change. You can just get an aftermarket barrel and put it in.
Matt
gwsb

prone action

Post by gwsb »

If you are building a prone gun I recommend a Winchester 52. Yeah youall stop laughing. It has a much shorter bolt movement and is easier to load in prone.
BartP

Post by BartP »

1913. Tried and True worldwide. Bp