Re-Sealing Walther LGR

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jashcroft

Re-Sealing Walther LGR

Post by jashcroft »

I have a old LGR that was handed down to me. It doesn't hold air and I would love to get it working. From what I understand there is 3 seals, main and 2 breech. With any luck at all it will not require a piston.
I have located the seals (moderator) and I was wondering is replacing the seals a reasonably basic task. I don't have a manual or instructions. If someone could provide some guidance or direction it would be greatly appreciated.
azmule

LGR seals

Post by azmule »

Four seals if you include the piston seal - if it's not holding air, the issue is either valve seal or piston seal. Open the breech, place a finger over the hole that leads back into the cylinder area and cycle the piston; if you feel air forcing out past your finger as you swing the lever forward it's the valve - if no air than most likely the piston seal, which is what I'm dealing with currently.

It's been about 10 years since I've last replaced a valve seal, but I remember it being a pretty simple procedure - after the action's removed from the stock, there's a little lever (it transfers the impact of the horizontal striker to the end of the valve) that needs to come out to get clear access to the end of the valve body. You'll need a special spanner-like tool to unscrew the valve body - the factory one looks like a big screwdriver with a big notch cut from the center of the blade to clear the valve shaft, I made my own tool by grinding a blade into the end of a short piece of appropriately sized steel tube.