Dang you Bill Horton!

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Freepistol

Dang you Bill Horton!

Post by Freepistol »

Hey Bill, a couple of years ago you commented about the use of “release” of the shot and how you would rather the term be restricted to archery. Since then, I have noticed that you are correct. There are times it is confusing as in the instance of “release the trigger.” I use that to describe my finger action when I abort a shot and remove the pressure on the trigger so I can start the shot process over. I hear “release the trigger” used to describe the moment when the sear becomes disengaged and the round is fired. I always consider that releasing the shot. So, now that you are driving me crazy, Bill, I thought I would throw out my own set of concerns about the English language. I hope these gripes will drive you crazy, too, Bill! For me, it was a short trip!

I need to preface this. I realize that many shooters on here do not use English as their first language. I am not attacking anyone because they don’t know how to write English, I am only trying to keep the terms pure in the shooting sports that I love.

I went to a free pistol match at Wappingers Falls in 1994. I arrived the night before and, after checking into a motel, I went to the range to make sure I could find it in the morning. There were a couple of guys shooting center fire pistols on a different range so I moseyed over to talk to them and was informed they were testing different “heads.” At the time, I didn’t say anything about the nomenclature; however, later in the conversation I learned they were writing for a Japanese magazine about IPSC. I was on my way home when I realized that this guy was teaching his readers that we don’t shoot bullets, but “heads.” I should have said something as I don’t think English was his first language. I am saying something now. I realize that the TV media as well as many people who should know better call bullets “heads” and call a loaded round a bullet. Let’s promote the correct term and use bullet to refer to the projectile; cartridge case or shell meaning the part left over in the gun after firing a shot. A round or cartridge is the complete loaded unit. {There was a local gun shop that had a “heads” sign posted on their bullet shelf. I think it was there about a year.}

Another term that drives me nuts is NOSE HEAVY. Firearms do not have noses. They have muzzles. The end of the barrel where the projectile(s) exits is the muzzle. The end where the round is inserted into the chamber is the breech. If the forward part of the gun seems heavy to you, it is MUZZLE heavy.

Please do not get offended by this post if you use these terms. This is not an attack on people’s improper use of English as I realize that many on this site do not use English as their first language. I also realize that the incorrect terms are used on TV constantly and if one hears it over and over, it tends to enter ones vocabulary. Also, I do not claim to be an expert in the English language and realize that I make mistakes of which I am unaware. If my screw-ups irritate you, let me know.

Also, what misused shooting terms bug you?

Ben
ammagad

Post by ammagad »

we can use days and days to try to misunderstand each other but
look beyond spelling and incorrect words, then the meaning will come through.

this is an international webpage for fellow shooters from many nations. we do understand each other if we want to.

the world is complicated enough.
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

What I really love is when you hear some misused word or expression, you say "you mean this?..." and the author says "Aw, c'mon, you understood, dina?"

Although not a fanatic for exactness, people that call a cow a chicken, end up by wanting eggs from it...
orionshooter

Re: Dang you Bill Horton!

Post by orionshooter »

Freepistol wrote: Also, what misused shooting terms bug you?

Here are some terms that drive me crazy:

"Clip" (when referring to a magazine)
"Hair trigger"
"Weapon" when referring to a firearm being used for sport
"kick" when referring to recoil

There are more but this is about all I can take in one sitting. :-))
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

"point blank": used by media (who expects anything better?), police, courts and even some military (who should know better) to indicate very close range - when in fact it has a specific military application that for most pistols and rifles is a LOT further away.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

What gets me is when the media report a shooting with a low powered pellet gun and they say "16 year old youth shot with high powered air rifle". They always have to over dramatise any story concerning guns.
Its as if the media are the mouth piece for the anti gun lobby.
Well they are arn't they!!!
JSB
Russ

Re: Dang you Bill Horton!

Post by Russ »

orionshooter wrote:
Freepistol wrote: Also, what misused shooting terms bug you?

"Clip" (when referring to a magazine)
"Hair trigger"
"Weapon" when referring to a firearm being used for sport
"kick" when referring to recoil

There are more but this is about all I can take in one sitting. :-))
This is not "terms" but subliminal messages used by" professionals" to set their own value for your perception level. You will see more of it, do not worry ;)
Rover

Post by Rover »

Dont you know that every time someone says, "Clip" for magazine God kills a kitten.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Hi Guys, I guess my favorite incorrect word usage is: "Build Quality".

I don't know why I have such an adverse reaction to a verb being used as

a noun, but I do. For those wishing to stop correct grammer erosion, please

try the word "building" or fabrication, or construction. ...My rant is done.

Tony
peterz

Post by peterz »

Well...

The word you mean is grammar erosion. :-)
David M

Post by David M »

Sometimes English is.....
" How come your nose run's, and your feet smell...."
" We park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway...."
" Why does Hawaii have Interstates...."
Humm....
Russ

Post by Russ »

May I suggest you do not use my advice because my English is not perfect and trust only perfectly structured English grammar opinions?

Pellet testing. Good question!
I will rephrase it. It depends of your current performance and your goal.
If your knowledge and performance level below 565, pellet testing will not affect your performance.
If you know how and you are able to score over 570 you must do this.
If your goal is to perform over 580 you can’t avoid it.
All depends ;)

This is perfect example of: three levels of performance and three different levels of suggestions and three different ways of verbalization of the same “problem –solution” issue.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Hi Peterz...Ha Ha , I must have been thinking of my grandma.

Tony
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

David
I think I have the answer to one of your questions.
As I understand it, "Interstate" is short for "Interstate DEFENCE Highway."
And when you look at the interstate system in Hawaii, on the island of Oahu, it primarily connects the major military bases together;
H1 Diamond Head/Fort Ruger to Fort Shafter to Pear Harbor/Hickam Air Force Base to Barbers Point Naval Air Station
H2 Connects H1 to Schofield Barracks/Wheeler Field
H3 Connects H1 to Kaneohe Marine Corp Air Station

So at least in Hawaii, that definition works.

As a tangent did any of you notice on TV when they show the illustration of a "bullet" in flight, many times they show the entire cartridge...including the case, "in flight." I thought the case was left behind in the gun (pistol, rifle, or cannon). Someone did not do their homework.
Popeye

Post by Popeye »

Funny you mention about a whole "round" in flight!

A few years ago I pointed out the same mistake to a guy wearing a T-shirt (at work) with an image showing a cartridge moving in flight, and he looked at me blankly. It took awhile for him to understand the concept of cartridges and projectiles fired therefrom...

Popeye
jsealc21

Post by jsealc21 »

slightly off-topic,but following the drift...a news report on the bin Laden affair...Graphics of the Seals attacking the exterior of the building showed firearms with typical AK-47 profile,curved mags,etc. When they were depicted in the room with bin Laden,they were shown with M-16 firearms. What a sneaky trick...
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

expect nothing of the young reporters but imprecise info. They love to write, hate reading...
jannypan

Post by jannypan »

this is an international webpage for fellow shooters from many nations. we do understand each other if we want to. Tiffany Jewelry
Gucci Shoulder Bags
Gucci Sling Bags
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

We understand each other until you try to speak with the European pistol makers...
If not in German you will not be understood. Possibly misundesrtood. Same with Sius technicians: they do think they speak english.
2650 Plus

Release the arrow, fire the shot

Post by 2650 Plus »

My Grandfather taught me that this was the most correct way to express the techniques, He was part comanchee and well versed in both . He was also a member of company B of the Texas rangers, He knew of what he spoke. All is well with the shooting world. Good Shooting, Bill Horton