Handstop question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

nester

Handstop question

Post by nester »

I have problems with my left hand - it tends to get numb in about 10-15 minutes.
After few sessions palm is red like hell (in the V - where large finger is "connected") and I have to massage it a lot to get back to shape..

I think this is because I have quite small hands, and my handstop is quite large - Anschutz 4751 (see pic below)

Should I switch to the smaller handstop?
I am looking at MEC Handstopand Anschutz Integral 6229. Also there is Centra Start-Line (even smaller, but without push-button)
Anybody who has them - can you measure the diameter? Or compare it with the quarter, etc.. If you can make some photos - that would be great!

Also I am thinking to get MEC/Centra Sling (with push-button release) - and therefore if MEC and Anschutz are more or less "equal" - I incline to the MEC handstop.

Also about sling - should I get jacket attachment Centra Connect as well (to fix the loop against rotation), or it's not that important?

Here is the photo:
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

I have the MEC handstop and I'm very happy indeed with it:

I have mine offset towards the thumb which you can't do with the Start-Line model.

I believe the MEC/Centra sling is very good too - not cheap though.

Pain in the web of the hand might also be caused by having the sling too high across the back of the hand as discussed in this thread: http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=29921

Regards,
Ken.
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

Before changing to the MEC, I think you should try the quick release handstop from Champions Choice that runs around $17. Since it sits very close to the stock, I'm not sure you would be able to put that much pressure in the "V" of your hand because the sling going across the back of your hand will take the pressure. Anschutz also has one a little taller for around $50. Champions also has a tall round with quick adjust lever and quick release sling for around $30.
Let us know what you try and find out.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

The Anschutz 4751 is rather large, and often squashes smaller hands. However it can be made more comfortable without spending any money. You need to cut away the sides of the stop, leaving a much slimmer togue, which shouldn't then force out the thumb and index finger.

Tim S
GTFS

Post by GTFS »

Hi Nester
I have the MEC/Centra Sling and love it. But the connection to the hand stop is not push button release, it fits all push button type handstops but you have to unscrew the knob a bit and then insert into the hand stop then tighten the knob up. It takes a little getting used to. In fact when I first got the sling I thought it was broken because I could not push release it. Then here comes the dumb bit, I undid the screw which I thought was the button, all the way and the 3 ball bearings fell out all over my dusty workshop floor never to be seen again. After buying new bearings, getting all three back in the holes and screwing the knob back in all at the same time was a nightmare never to be repeated. Once I fixed my little brain snap it it’s turned out to be the best sling I have tried. I would also recommend buying the Centra connect as well. As for handstops your on your own there brother as I have tried lots and ended up custom making mine.

I am thinking 10 what are you thinking?

Glen Turner.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Generally speaking smaller handstops are recomended - the MEC or the anschutz 'button type' as examples. I'm trying to think of the model number of the anschutz handstop I have - but it's easy enough to find if you google.

Rob.
skylark

Post by skylark »

I have small hands (I am 5'2) and a MEC handstop and I love it.

I tried the big Anschutz one years ago and never got on with it. If you don't want to spend $$$, the older style small knurled round Anschutz handstop is good too if you can find one second hand.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

USMC0802 wrote:Before changing to the MEC, I think you should try the quick release handstop from Champions Choice that runs around $17. Since it sits very close to the stock, I'm not sure you would be able to put that much pressure in the "V" of your hand because the sling going across the back of your hand will take the pressure.
My personal feeling is that having the anchor point close to the stock is not a good thing - the front (fleshy) part of the hand gets crushed/pinched between the stock and the sling and it's much more difficult to get the weight of the rifle over the back of the hand.
Getting the anchor point away from the stock leads to a more comfortable support hand IMHO.

K.
Bob3700

Re: Handstop question

Post by Bob3700 »

I am using the MEC handstop as well but added this to the equation. In order to keep the sling pressure off the back of my hand and wrist, I placed an additional handstop toward the front of the rail and attached my sling to that. Now, sling pressure is independent (and consistent) from the handstop.

My hand was actually going numb after 15 min and getting that sling re-positioned was the key.

Bob
litz10x

Handstop

Post by litz10x »

When I was shooting I removed the big bulky (plastic) part and used only the slim part that goes into the rail. It greatly reduced the amount of turnout my hand was experiencing in both prone and kneeling.

Steph