Sling position - high or low?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BGC

Sling position - high or low?

Post by BGC »

In prone, I have always had my sling in a high position, over the bicep.
Watching the ISSF prone finals etc on Youtube, I notice that many shooters have a low sling position, under the bicep.
I know both ways are "accepted", but is there any advantage placing it low, rather than high?
Which position do you guys use, and why?

Thanks

/ BGC
Roadthing

Post by Roadthing »

I to would like to hear some feedback on this too.

Doug
BGC

Post by BGC »

Is it perhaps as simple as this:

A low prone position = low sling position
A high prone position = high sling position

?
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

It is not that simple unfortunately. The sling needs to be either high or low to avoid as much as possible the artery that runs down the back of the arm. Too much pressure on this will cause excessive pulse being transmitted through the sling.

I have a low position but have my sling high on the arm. I find this gives me the most secure position and the best support. It is largely a preference thing.

Try each and base your decision on which gives you the most secure and stable position over the entire length of your shoot. Try each over a decent period of time though as it will take serveral sessions to get used to the change.

Phil
azmule

Post by azmule »

I have to admit, I've never even tried a low sling position. Aside from the whole reduced pulse effect from slinging over tendon (above or below) instead of muscle mass, looking at it from a simple mechanical leverage standpoint locating as far as possible from the fulcrum of the elbow makes more sense. Think of the stiffness of a deep sided triangle as opposed to one with one very shallow side - which is stiffest?

The only possible advantage I can think of would be to work around the physical differences in each shooters arm; as mentioned you want to sling over tendon, and some peoples' bicep/tricep mass is located too high on the arm to miss completely from a high position.

Tonight is range night - I'll give the low position it a try and see if I notice a difference.

Scott
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

For a long time I had as high sling position as I could - right up into the armpit.
This gave the least tension in the sling
However, I now believe that this has the effect of slightly pulling my shoulder out of it's socket. My old jacket used to hold the shoulder joint together better than my current Thune 3P one and I suffered less from this dislocation.

If I go too low, there seems to be so much tension in the sling that it is painful on the arm and the wrist.

So I'm currently in between - right at the top edge of the rubber on my jacket (one of the problems with the 3P style ones) - and everything is pretty comfortable, even with my heavy old rifle.
GeraldC

Post by GeraldC »

After Kenny Bs post which explained similar problems I was having I moved my sling from high up my arm to about 1/3 up from my elbow.
Shoulder pain gone and less pressure on my cheap jacket making it move down my arm taking the sling with it.And bonus-a few good results.
Thanks all