Small bore F class

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Mesa

Small bore F class

Post by Mesa »

Are there any shooters in the LA orange county area interested in shooting 22 F class. LAR&R has the targets we just need shooters, we are trying to get it accepted by the NRA but are going to have to show a larger interest than we can show now. Arizona is getting on the band wagon and having F class in their matches as are we.
peterz

Post by peterz »

Dumb question: What's F-class? And what is small-bore F-class (shot with a .22 I presume)?
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

F-Class is a form of bench-rested target-rifle in which rests and scopes are allowed. It was originally developed for the benefit of shooters who for whatever reason (age or physical impairment) could not get into the normal prone position with a jacket and sling.

In the UK, they sit aside from the normal X-A-O-T class structure (which is based on ability - starting with "Tyro" and working up to X-Class), and the targets are scored slightly differently. Instead of 1-2-3-4-5-V, the V-bull is scored as 6 to help spread out what are naturally higher scores.
In some cases it has spawned into a discipline in it's own right with F-Class leagues run in places.
More information on the UK side here.

It would appear some people are now trying to extend it to .22, although I'm not personally sure where the line between benchrest and F-Class lies, as they're both very similar, and benchrest also has a world-wide following for centre-fire, .22 and air.
Mesa

F class

Post by Mesa »

As stated before,for people who for whatever reason can no longer use Iron sights, or get slinged up, Like bench rest, in that a front rest and rear bag are used, in the prone position. Bench goes for size of group, F class goes for score. It is not reconized by the NRA for small bore but we would like to change that. Phil
Hemmers

Re: F class

Post by Hemmers »

Mesa wrote:Bench goes for size of group, F class goes for score.
Ah there we go. Learn something new every day :-)
captain-03

Post by captain-03 »

We have giving this a try here in Mississippi for several months now -- currently we are shooting 22RFs at 100yrds from the prone position. For those who may be interested in what we are doing, take a look here --

http://www.msgunowners.com/f51-f-class-22-rimfire

This is a great opportunity to get women and youth involved. We are beginning to see an increase in both our women and youth divisions.

Future plans are to extend the competition out to 200yrds later on in the year -- for any BRAVE souls who wish to give it a whirl!!

Mesa

F class

Post by Mesa »

I love it, we live in one of the most populatd areas in the USA, we probably got more people in a 20 mile radius than there are in the state of Missouri and we can't get 5 F-class shooters to call it a game. We have the only dedicated small bore range in the vast LA area, Check out lar&r.club. I am so jealous of you folks I could spit.
Mesa

F Class

Post by Mesa »

Oh Man my bad so sorry, Mississippi, not Missouri. Really red faced here!
captain-03

April 22 F-Class Match

Post by captain-03 »

Well our April 2011 Match is now in the books. I can only applaud the 29 shooters who came out this morning to shoot in the gale force winds!! The wind actually broke a couple 1X2 target frames this morning and cracked a PVC T-Joint on SGMJody's stand!! As you would believe, the scores showed it for many of us .....

We had 2 junior participants this morning along with 3 BRAVE souls who shot in the Traditional Class!!

Now for next month!!

Relay 1 - Rifles On-Line

Wind Flag!!!!!!!!!!

For more pictures:

http://www.msgunowners.com/t14262-april ... s-feedback
Mesa

F-class

Post by Mesa »

Ahhh wind ya gotta love it,want to shoot no wind go indoors. I was wondering, do you all shoot a reduced target, Our Chief officer had targets made with the reduced bull for F-class. We had a match this weekend,with the millions of people here, we got 3 f-class shooters and 8 conventional prone shooters, sad huh?
captain-03

Post by captain-03 »

Yes, we designed our own targets for the Open Class - Printed black/white on white paper. The 10 ring is 1" across with the X-ring being 1/2" across. The 9,8, and 7 rings are 1/2 inch with the 6 and 5 rings being 1". Our Tradition Class (Iron Sights) use the NRA Small Bore 100 yrd Target (TQ-4).

singleshotcajun

Post by singleshotcajun »

Looks like Magnolia. I miss it something terrible. I used to be a member of magnolia before I moved myself to Texas. We have some nice ranges and matches here in South East Texas but I miss my home range. I shot Service rifle there for the first time in 1985 just before the Swinging bridge got destroyed. Good times. Do dear still wander out in front of the berm /
captain-03

Post by captain-03 »

Your are certainly correct -- Magnolia Rifle & Pistol Club!! ... and Yes, deer still wonder onto the range!! If you are ever back this way, PM me and we will make a range trip ....
Globesmasher17

Post by Globesmasher17 »

Beautiful looking firing line.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

I have shot silhouette at the Magnolia range and it is a very nice setup. Let anyone who doubts the Souths ability to rise again spend a day at that range lol. I think they shot everything from full auto MP5's to 105mm Howitzers :) But really I hadn't heard that much shooting and ammo being burned all day long in quite some time.
captain-03

Post by captain-03 »

We do have a good time --- Ya'll need to come on down here Saturday for our Annual Meet & Greet Shoot -- here are a few of the toys that will be available to shoot --

Here is some discussion about Saturday!! We will have fun!!!!!!!!! BTW - That is me on the BAR in the Video ...

http://www.msgunowners.com/t14169-look- ... experience
br shooter

Re: F class

Post by br shooter »

Hemmers wrote:
Mesa wrote:Bench goes for size of group, F class goes for score.
Ah there we go. Learn something new every day :-)
I don't know of any national RF BR orgs that shoot group, all shoot score. For group shooting you have to have moving backers to be able to ascertain that everybody is shooting the required number of shots. Also the typical group is 5 shots whereas the typical score target for RF is 25 record shots. Shooting fewer record shots but more targets wastes ammo due to bbl warmup or fouling shots.

rj
///

F/class

Post by /// »

I guess things have changed alot since I shot bench 10 or so years ago, I do know they shoot multiple targets a single shot in each, I still have some of the old green USBR targets we shot for fun,but any match we had was group size,5 shots measured c/c, Mesa