First target pistol

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

bwwaaaa

First target pistol

Post by bwwaaaa »

Hi guys,

I'm new to the sport of shooting, and being young and uninformed, I'm really lost as to which particular type of pistol I should be purchasing as my first. As far as I can tell (correct me if I'm wrong), the most important thing for me now is to just learn good posture and trigger control. So what type of gun would be good for learning the skills that would hopefully apply across multiple disciplines?

Air pistol? Larry's has a used Pardini K-2 listed on their site that looks nice.
Sport pistol? Like a Benelli MP-95 or similar.
Free pistol? I can't even imagine shooting at 50 meters right now, though.

I'm in the rare position of having a small amount of cash to spend, but I just don't know what would be the most beneficial direction to go.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I say air pistol. You can practice cheaply at home and also shoot in "official matches". It is also perfect training for Free Pistol. You could find one at a good price on the classifieds here.

Buy a .22 soon after and you'll be good to go for a long time.

BTW For a starter air pistol, buy a FWB 65 or Pardini K58 SSP and save yourself the headaches and expense of messing with air or CO2.