IZH-46M (MP46M) Problem

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
kevinweiho

IZH-46M (MP46M) Problem

Post by kevinweiho »

I had purchased a new MP46M air pistol last year from P.A. and the vey first time I cocked the pistol, the breech block did not completely pop open.

I thought that being a new air pistol, with use things will 'wear in', but after more than a thousand shots, the problem persists.

If i do not manually pull the breech block all the way up (90º angle), the pistol will not cock the trigger and hold air.

The pistol shoots great and is vey accurate, but this defect is annoying.

I would appreciate any comments or help in correcting this problem.
docatru

Post by docatru »

I just purchased the same air pistol new from Pyramid Air. The instruction manual was not clear on the point you mention. I too, had to manually raise the breech block after operating the cocking handle.

Never having handled this type of air gun before I was cautious in operating the cocking handle. But after a few days I noticed that if I moved the handle all the way to the end of its range of motion smartly (but not forcing it) that the breech block popped up into position on its own. There is a little hitch at the end of the cocking motion forward that activates the breech block cocking.

I wrote to the importer (Pyramid Air) to suggest they include a notice of this quirk in the manual.

The IZH 46 been lots of fun over the last month allowing me to work on fundamentals at home in the basement.

BTW I had a chance to visit the IZHMASH factory where the pistol is made in September while I was teaching in Izhevsk. My hosts arranged a tour. They do great work with some out of date tooling, but I did notice that there were a few newer CNC machines of western design in the plant next to older lathes and mills. An old factory with the smell of cutting oil and metal....right out of the 1960's and 70's.

They showed me some of their "artistic" work engraving sporting arms - shotguns and rifles. Beautiful walnut, high gloss bluing and some machine engraving but a lot of handwork. Wish I could have snuck one home in the suitcase, but the airport security people in Moscow hand search every checked and carry on bag. I think they would take a dim view of my purloined treasure.

DOC
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Thanks Doc, for sharing some of your memoirs of your trip to Russia.

I had tried moving the handle all the way, but the breech block only opens half way. Then i have to manually pull the block all the way back...

I too, appreciate the fine craftmanship that the Russians put into manufacturing their weapons, albeit not so refined as their European neighbors.

Kevin
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Mine failed in the same way... post here:

viewtopic.php?t=18204

Check this screw:

When mine stripped, it would shift and not allow the linkages to open the breech block all the way. It was a fairly cheap and easy fix. If you know a gunsmith/machinist, I don't see any reason why that hole could not be rethreaded and a new screw installed (might actually improve the function).
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Thanks Brian for your response, I also noticed that part nº 2 (slide)
http://www.eaacorp.com/diagrams-izh46lg.html has been grinding against the barrel and leaving it without blueing.

Has this happened to your Izzy?

In this weekend, I will tinker with the Baikal and see if i can get her fixed.

Kevin
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Nope, both (I had to replace that part) examples of mine have no issue with clearing all other parts... no grinding/touching/etc. I think that's part of the problem though. There's a little bit of disassembly to get that part on/off, but I didn't find it difficult at all (I'm a motorcycle mechanic though, mind bent towards how things work together).

Good luck

Brian