RF pistol handicap in Standard?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mika

RF pistol handicap in Standard?

Post by mika »

Hi,

hope I'm not asking something that's been so fully covered that everyone's already bored... Tried the search, but feel a bit unsure, still. If I'm just bad with searches, I'd appreciate if you could at least point me in the direction of the old discussions.

I guess the ISSF rule change (away from .22 shorts etc) was partly intended to make one gun good for all the events. Well, of course, this didn't work out that well, and the manufacturers have different versions for RF and STD. I guess the difference is bigger the way that a STD pistol is less suitable for RF than vice versa. At least shooting with my DES 69 the 4 s strings are, well, fun but not very productive. On the other hand, shooting an old .22 short RF pistol at the STD target works just fine, and I guess a modern .22 lr RF works great, too.

But, there must be a difference to justify the different models. Of course selling more guns is reason enough for the vendors, but what about us shooters buying them? How much of a handicap is a rapid fire pistol in standard pistol shooting? There was some discussion about tighter barrels on some standard models, but even the RF guns shoot "a ragged hole". Is there really a significant difference in accuracy or some other important parameter that justifies the cost of the second pistol?

Mika
dam8

Post by dam8 »

a bunch of guys shooting gallery 22 bought walther osps and some shoot unique. for me, my slow fire score suffered while i did jump up in timed and rapid. not worth the trouble for me, but I don't shot rapid fire so there's my opinion
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

I have not found there to be a measureable differnce score wise between my MG2 and MG2RFE in standard pistol. The test targets are comperable to each other.

Brian