Newbie, training without a coat.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Senji

Post by Senji »

So, I got a copy of "Ways of the Rifle 2009" about a week ago, and Im going through this book about correct body form in all the of the positions. Im examining my standing position by the use of the 10 second shutter delay on my DSLR camera from front and side. As Im going through this, Im realizing: Should I be practicing like this without a coat? While it's on order, would dry practice without one be a futile attempt or is it beneficial? Right now, trying to find the relaxed "zero" seems to be inconsistent every time, and its hard to not slouch over while trying to relax.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Dry holding without a coat can be a useful drill, however when first building your position you may want to do so without the firearm as well.

Use the photos as a basis to build a position which feels stable to you, rather than trying to copy someone in the book. Once you have such a position (feels stable even with your eyes closed), add the rifle and see if it is still good.

After you get your coat, you'll need to go through the building process again. After you've become accustomed to shooting with the coat, it is educational to go back to dry holding without the coat foe several minutes before putting on the coat and training.

All this for standing.
Last edited by Pat McCoy on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

I do not think it is wise to practice without a coat.

I say it from experience. In the beginning you won't know the difference because your position is inconsistent anyways. But over time, your position develops based on subtleties over which the coat has great influence.

The biggest differences are going to be the position of the rifle in your shoulder for all positions, sling position and angle, and support elbow position standing.

I say this from experience, because I simply didn't have a coat at first. When I got one, I had to make a lot of adjustments to the positions.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Agree with the above. In addition get someone to take the pictures, better still a coach to help you build it up. It can be very difficult to build up your own position, a coach can save a lot of fiddling around as they can test you in position in ways you can't do yourself.

Rob.
Senji

Post by Senji »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will begin building something up with a coach. For now I can try the balance exercises and continue testing ammo through the rifle. Its tough to wait!

Thanks guys.
ciscovt

Post by ciscovt »

I want to second Rob's suggestion about working with an experienced coach if you can. I, like most of the shooters I have encountered in Highpower and in Smallbore are self taught. We muddle through gleaning bits of information as we can from what sources we encounter.
A few years ago I was at Camp Perry for the pistol championship and got talking with the rifle and air rifle coach of a large U.S. university. I asked him a question about the standing position and palm rests. In five minutes he did more for my standing position than I had figured out in ten years.
Granted, that may just be saying something about my lack of ability, but I had plateaued in the low 90s off hand on the A17 target in my winter league. The coach's simple observation and suggestions helped me to break out of my plateau.

ciscovt