Small Bore Rifle Choice?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Rodger`

Small Bore Rifle Choice?

Post by Rodger` »

Interested in buying my first small bore rifle and I would like to know what the rifle of choice is? What are the Olympian Shooters using I guess is the question? I am looking for support and advice from you experienced shooters?
Thanks
justadude

Post by justadude »

Yo Rodger,

If you are just interested in getting started in smallbore a question like "What are the Olympians using" can get you in way over budget and get you so confused you won't even know what end of the rifle to point down range when it is over.

For under $1000 you can find Kimber 82G which are OK if you are a large frame person. More general use many folks speak well of the Russian CM-2. For a little over $1000 you can look for an Anschutz 1903.

A few others can chime in with comments but all three of those have basic adjustment to get you started shooting and building positions.

Once you are comfortable at that level you can decide if you want to take the next step. About the rifles used in the Olympics... Just buying one new and getting necessary accessories for the usual models figure $3500. You can spend around $8K if you like.

Also, after you get going with the rifle you will also want to look into getting Jacket, Trousers, Boots, Scope.....

Hope this helps

'Dude
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

If you're just starting go second hand would be my advice. You can buy a used 1813 for example a lot cheaper than a new gun. You can then decide if you like it, upgrade the stock, or if you want buy a new gun (and sell on the old one for the same money you paid for it).

People at the top are using anshutz's, feinwerkbau's, bleikers, walthers etc. But all those guns will set you back a small fortune... and that's before you buy the clothing...

Rob.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

Items like a shooting jacket and glove are very crucial for shooting well. I would also suggest getting the book Ways of the Rifle, as a cost effective investment. Standard velocity ammo like Wolf, SK, or RWS rifle is also a nice place to start. As far as a rifle, Anschutz is the most common, and has a very nice resale. I would suggest a 1600 series or newer. Because of residual value, shooting is pretty inexpensive compared to owning a boat, or sports car. So, buy pretty good stuff because it will make your shooting easier, and when you upgrade or retire, you will get most of your investment back.
Vlad

Post by Vlad »

I would say that try find second hand anschutz 18xx ->, Feinwerkbau or Walther.. You get it same price or less than new 1000$ rifle, wich may even not be good at this discipline (mainly stock).
Now you have more money to spend jackets, trouser, gloe and other crucial stuff :)
Roadthing

Post by Roadthing »

RobStubbs wrote:If you're just starting go second hand would be my advice. You can buy a used 1813 for example a lot cheaper than a new gun. You can then decide if you like it, upgrade the stock, or if you want buy a new gun (and sell on the old one for the same money you paid for it).

People at the top are using anshutz's, feinwerkbau's, bleikers, walthers etc. But all those guns will set you back a small fortune... and that's before you buy the clothing...

Rob.
Cry once and get a good used rifle, this is some good advise, and you can always sell and good rifle for more or near what you will have in it. I bought a new rifle last year and it really put a damper on the ammo funds.

Doug
Grape712

starter rifle

Post by Grape712 »

kimber 82G from the cmp 400$ dont fear the rust,my family has bought 3 rusty's and haven't found any yet.250$ 4way butt plate from masterclass.13 yr old son shot a 268 score in 4p