recommend a 22lr pistol for a beginner

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tuj

recommend a 22lr pistol for a beginner

Post by tuj »

Hi all, first post here. I am a relative novice shooter and certainly a novice to off-hand pistol. While I'm not looking to enter competition at this point, or perhaps ever, I really enjoy shooting for accuracy and precision. I'm looking for a good target pistol in 22lr that will serve me well as I develop my skills. I'm not really interested in eventually owning 2 or 3 22LR pistols, I'd rather have one good one and not have to upgrade in a year or two. That said, I'd like to keep it under $1000 when its all said and done. I recognize that the top target pistols are well north of that mark, so obviously they are out of contention for me.

I've considered some of the more 'pedestrian' choices like a buckmark or a mkii/iii. Obviously both of those are good pistols, and accurate enough for a novice, but they also each need some work to shoot their best. I've also thought about an Izh35m, but they are pretty difficult to find. Finally, I've also considered the Benelli's the mp95e, and maybe I could stretch to get a mp90s.

So what would you recommend for a novice pistol shooter who's not necessarily going into competition, but also wants to have quality equipment? Basically if my groups are poor, I want to know that its *me* and not my equipment that's the cause. What to you all think?
customs954

First .22

Post by customs954 »

My feelings are you should spend enough to get a quality .22 that is still supported by whichever manufacturer. My personal preference would be a used Pardini SP. They are very reliable and parts are easy to get and guns are well supported. As much as SW Model 41 and High Standard are great guns, I would steer towards the Euro guns as they are ergonomically much better for precision shooting. IZH 35 is a great gun and they do come up on Target Talk. Parts are a bit tough but can be found. I personall own Pardini but also have FAS model 602 and 607. The 607 has 2 stage trigger and is supported by FAS DOMINO in Italy. I have purchased various spares from them. The 607 is a great gun once you have the right ammo. They do not like the longer CCI Standard but do well with SK, Elly and RWS. I realize you are on a budget but you should be able to do the above for around 1000.00 or a bit more. Hope this helps.

Rob
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

OK, a highly underrated gun, but a world class gun, the FAS 602 or 607(newer version of the 602). I still have mine from nearly 30 years ago and it works great. They are still in production in Milan and make a very nice pistol. On the used market they would be in your price range.
AK Pistol

Post by AK Pistol »

If you are not going to compete then it really doesn't matter what you get. Whatever you like is all that matters.