Slings & Swivels

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

accushot

Slings & Swivels

Post by accushot »

I'm trying to get a survey from everyone of the use of slings and swivels at different levels of .22 competitive shooting. I'm a 4-H Shooting Sports Rifle Project Leader in California. Here, for our state Postal Shoot, slings are allowed for open sight and peep sight categories.

What kinds and widths of slings do you use/recommend? I'm talking about kids learning to shoot for the first time, using a variety of rifles commonly available. But I'm also wanting feedback on what the more serious kids use at competitions.

Thanks.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Well you first have to decide (determine) how you are going to run your smallbore program. Many 4-H programs run rules by "what the RO feels like that day" ... I'm not kidding.
I prefer to run my program with the rules that the kids will shoot under if they happen to be selected to go to the National 4-H tournament.
If that is the case, currently (note there are 3 events in the .22 rifle discipline):
1) 3-Position runs by the NRA "Any Rifle" rule. You'll see $200 savages shooting right next to $3500 anschutz rifles. Simplest sling is an inch to inch-1/2 Nylon type. You'll have kids struggling to hit the paper, and those that will be upset if a shot is out of the 9 ring.
2) CMP Rimfire sporter ... I think that's a 1-1/2 inch limit, but check those rules on the CMP website
3) Silhouette ... no slings allowed

Always best to get on the 4-H National Shooting Sports website and get a copy of the "Rules Synopsis" ... this gives the governing body, which rulebook and any rule modifications that will be in place for that year .... and yes, rulebooks change frequently, so the 2009 version you may have in your shooting bag is certainly out of date.