Lighting and Shooting

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Lighting and Shooting

Post by Guest »

What ratio of light firing line/target should you train with.
On many ISSF videos the shooting line is usually very dark, and targets brightly lit, just wondering if there are established values.
I am not a champion but my score variance between ranges is enormous, and I am trying to find a good cause for it, I know it is not me...sic
GTFS

Post by GTFS »

Good Question
As I understand it the light at the firing point is suppose to be the same as at the target and I am sure there is a minimum Lux value but a don’t remember where I have seen it.

On the same topic the new 50 metre range I am training at ( new for me ) is very well lit for night shooting, But the background behind the target frames is dark greyish under lights making it very hard to see the rear iris hole clearly because there is very little contrast. Seeing the front sight and the target is no problem. My other range for 20 metre indoor has a totally white background so this problem has not happened to me before. My rear sight has a mirror on the iris which I can see well but trying to make out the actual iris hole is very hard work. Any Suggestions on how to cope with this type of lighting situation would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

I am thinking 10. What are you thinking?

Glen Turner.
Spencer

Re: Lighting and Shooting

Post by Spencer »

Anonymous wrote:What ratio of light firing line/target should you train with.
On many ISSF videos the shooting line is usually very dark, and targets brightly lit, just wondering if there are established values.
I am not a champion but my score variance between ranges is enormous, and I am trying to find a good cause for it, I know it is not me...sic
ISSF indoor ranges: rule 6.3.17
robf

Post by robf »

remember when you watch video or look at photo's the brightness will be compensated for the limited light range of the capture device. Your eyes are have a wider range.

If you take a photo of a ISSF range, say of people on the line, you will see that the targets are burnt out... if you expose to get the targets looking right, the people will look dark... yet to your eyes on the range, it looks normal. Its just that cameras dont have the range to capture both, because the targets are lit so brightly above normal ambient lighting.

Post by Guest »

Exactly, so what is the ratio shooting lane/target in luminance terms?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote:Exactly, so what is the ratio shooting lane/target in luminance terms?
Did you look at the ISSF rule as suggested by Spencer?
Colin

Colin

Post by Colin »

Perhaps he was hoping someone could tell him as per his question
David Levene

Re: Colin

Post by David Levene »

Colin wrote:Perhaps he was hoping someone could tell him as per his question
With the variations of range distance, absolute minimum, recommended minimum, etc it is better to look at the table
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

I believe we covered this pretty thoroughly several years ago on this thread. Boy, old age is strange. I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, but remembered this old thread!

Paul

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... wolf+creek
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

This may be useful:

http://www.australiancynic.com/exp_2009-1.pdf

And scroll down to 6.3.17

Post by Guest »

All values in lux, for indoor ranges, and RECOMMENDED, the minimums at the target can be lower

10m - firing lane 300/500 - target 15001800
25m - firing lane 300/500 - target 1500/2500
50m - firing lane 300/500 - target 1500/3000

Thank you for the Australian link.
Now I know I shoot best at 1/4 ratio, under incandescent light.

Post by Guest »

1 footcandle = 10.763 910 4 lux