Nickle finishes

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JohnLK

Nickle finishes

Post by JohnLK »

I have a new AW93.
These pistol have a large area that is nickle finish.
A friend cautioned me about using Hoppe's 9 because it
could harm/remove the nickle.
Does anyone know any other solvents that aren't safe?
Kroil?
FP-10?
Others?
Thanks!
JLK
medellin

Sharing my experience,

Post by medellin »

If you want to clean up (not remove) you can use ammonia straight up. It will give the nickel plated surface its original tone. If you want to make it shine you could use Mothers (you can find it in any auto parts store)

Please use shop towels or clothes while doing either.

Note. Nickel tends to darken over time. In some cases it could acquire a dark look to it almost black. I know that removing a nickel plated surface is a difficult task to do just with chemicals of any kind. I do not have experience with the ones you mentioned.

I hope this helps you.

Nando
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Do NOT use ammonia based cleaners on polished nickle. Nickle is often plated on top of copper, and the tiniest pores in the nickle will allow the ammonia to attack the copper. The result can vary from small spots to peeling plating. I don't know how the nickle is put on the AW93, but if it's polished, I wouldn't chance it. I nearly ruined a nickle plated presentation sword by using Brasso to polish it. Autosol is a non-ammonia based polish that works well. "Satin" nickle may use a different process, but I'd still proceed with caution.