A little pellet testing...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bebloomster

A little pellet testing...

Post by bebloomster »

Did a bit more bench testing today and I'm really getting discouraged with the results. First I decided that I needed a lot more solid fixture than I'd used last, so this time it was clamped down to some 3/4" plywood atop some sawhorses. This turned out to be rock solid, I don't think the pistol moved even the slightest in over 100 shots.

I used the Steyr LP-50 this time firing 10 shot groups at 10 meters with RWS Meisterkugeln, H&N Finale Pistol, Vogel green label, RWS R-10 and H&N Finale Rifle. The first time through the B-40 paper targets I used didn't allow nice clean cut holes evcn with a thin cardboard backer so I fired the whole series again using just a piece of thin cardboard. The cardboard was shifted laterally within the target holder for each group. In retrospect I can't guarantee that the cardboard didn't move ever so slightly during the first and last group so next time I do this I'm going to tape the cardboard securely to the target holder and then shift the entire target holder laterally between each group. Hopefully that will eliminate any target movement during the 10 shot string.

Here's what the results for today looked like....

Yes, there are TEN shots in each group fired 10 meters distant !!! I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't fired them myself. To me it looks like the nod would go to H&N Finale Pistol, RWS R-10 and Vogel in that order.

Next time I do this I'll use the LP-10 and shift the entire target holder rather than just the target within the holder.

Wonder just what difference cleaning and waxing the pellets would make? Guess there's only one way to find out.
JohnLK

Post by JohnLK »

May I ask what diameter pellets you were testing?
Thanks!
bebloomster

Post by bebloomster »

These were all .177's. Going into this little experiment I already knew that both the Steyr LP-10 and LP-50 would always outshoot me no matter what flavor of pellet was used... even if they were loaded backwards. The main purpose of this test was to determine which specific pellet to buy when it comes time to restock. I never anticipated that 3 of them though would perform so well.

This was shot with my LP-50. I imagine that results using my LP-10 will be quite similar. There is only one way to find out for sure though. There is an old Russian proverb that definitely applies.... doveryai, no proveryai. Trust, but verify.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

bebloomster wrote:These were all .177's. Going into this little experiment I already knew that both the Steyr LP-10 and LP-50 would always outshoot me no matter what flavor of pellet was used... even if they were loaded backwards. The main purpose of this test was to determine which specific pellet to buy when it comes time to restock. I never anticipated that 3 of them though would perform so well.

This was shot with my LP-50. I imagine that results using my LP-10 will be quite similar. There is only one way to find out for sure though. There is an old Russian proverb that definitely applies.... doveryai, no proveryai. Trust, but verify.
I think the poster meant what 'real' diameter where they (i.e what it says on the bottom of the tin) ? I.e. 4.48, 4.49, 4.50mm etc

Rob.
bebloomster

Post by bebloomster »

Ah...ok. The H&N Finale Match Pistol were 4.50mm, the H&N Finale Match Rifle and the green label Vogel were 4.49mm. I could find no size designation on the RWS R-10 or RWS Meisterkugeln.

Is this sizing similar to what would be used in centerfire pistol bullets? Fitting the bullet to a specific barrel? Oh great, a whole new world to explore.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Are we having fun yet?

Send me a PM with your address and I'll mail you a handful of high quality Kruger rifle targets for your testing.

I guess you saw from your results that even the "bad" pellets were good enough for match shooting.

Two things: Shoot larger samples (25?); and, for me and other tightwads, a variety of the cheaper lightweight pellets (Hobby, Basic, Club, and some of the unknown Crosman).

All part of the fun! Good work!
David Levene

Re: A little pellet testing...

Post by David Levene »

bebloomster wrote:Did a bit more bench testing today and I'm really getting discouraged with the results.
Do you really mean discouraged, or encouraged.
bebloomster

Post by bebloomster »

Discouraged as in there isn't a particular pellet standing out as clearly superior to the rest although the H&N Finale Pistol Match is looking real good.

Yes, the next logical step would be larger sample groups... as if it really matters since either pistol would always outshoot me even if the pellets were loaded backwards !!! Hmm... pellets loaded backwards? Wonder if that's worth exploring?

Rover, PM sent. Thanks.
Last edited by bebloomster on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc226

Post by Doc226 »

You should also try a cheap "sport store" pellet to serve as a control.
kanedal

Post by kanedal »

Personally i test with minimum 30 shots with each different box.
With only ten shots they all could have almost the same result, with 30 shots you would see wich one is better.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Since a PCP air pistol has no recoil(to speak of), I don't test my 162E using my Ransom Rest, I just clamp the grip in my drill press vise in the basement, and use the machine controls to move the groups horizontally and vertically. This allows me to fire a dozen or more groups on a single reversed target. I can then easily measure and compare them with a digital caliper.

Paul
AK Pistol

Post by AK Pistol »

For all but elite shooters any of the top three pellets you tested would be fine and your scores would not be harmed by using any of them. For those on a tight budget it is also advisable to determine which of the lower priced pellets give adequate accuracy for practice. Then stock up and move on to areas where real score improvement can be found.