Avanti 753 Tune Up

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Fatman

Avanti 753 Tune Up

Post by Fatman »

Hi:

This is for you guys who, for whatever your reasons, shoot ten meter with a 753/853 Avanti.

If your gun is a high miler you might want to consider the 5903 kit from Daisy ($8.00). It includes seals, hammer and spring and full screw assortment.

Clean off all the old grease and oil. I prefer re-lubing with white lithium grease. Apply sparingly with a brush to all moving parts. If you havn't already done the Pilkington trigger tune, by all means do it. Follow the instructions to the letter and should be very pleased with the results. Replace the O-rings and wiper sponge. I prefer Mach-1 "Secret Sauce" for the O-ring seals and the wiper sponge.

Check the contact area of the sear and the contact area of the rim of the hammer. If they are worn replace. Check the new ones and if they are rough, smooth with 600 wet or dry paper. Just polish, don't remove metal and alter the angles. Add some Moly grease to the contact surfaces (rim of the hammer and sear face). Go sparingly just a light smear will do.

Be sure to lube the pump arm pivots as well.

For adult shooters, you can get a very light trigger by omitting both the sear spring and the rear lock spring. (Isn't legal in Sporter and not recommended for Juniors as it won't pass the pull test) The hammer spring provides adequate tension without those two springs. Leaving out the rear lock spring will disable that function (prevents the trigger from releasing the hammer with the bolt open). Shouldn't be a problem with adult shooters. I've done this along with the Pilkington trigger tune and have a safe, very light and predictable trigger with no discernable take-up or overtravel. Done properly the safety is fully functional as well.

If the gun is not to be used in Sporter class, you can add an adjustable butt plate (Archer Airguns $19.95) and fabricate an adjustable "Monte Carlo" cheek piece made from whatever is available. I used 3/8" black plastic sign backer board. It's heat bendable and takes on a stippled texture when hit with a heat gun. Adjust with washers under the mounting screws (the original 753's had an adjustable butt plate and the comb was seperate and adjusted with washers as well). If you are good with a saw you can just saw off the comb and re-attach it with two screws using washers as spacers to raise the position. I also fabricated a "Hampster" attached to the pump handle from the same material and sight risers cut from a long scope riser of unknown origin.

Not a fine German Match rifle to be sure, but not too bad if your funds are limited.

Fatman
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Thanks for the tips. If using it only for standing, you can also cut the buttstock at an angle to give some "cast off" effect and bring the rifle more securely into the shoulder.
Lenny

Daisy 753

Post by Lenny »

I love the simplicity of that rifle for informal shooting in my basement. I shoot mainly highpower and use 10 meter air rifle as cross training in the off season.