Unfilling Air Cylinder

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

D A Higgins

Unfilling Air Cylinder

Post by D A Higgins »

I'm getting ready to fly with my air rifle, and I was wondering how I empty my air cylinder. It's on a FWB 700 Alu.

Thanks
Rover

Post by Rover »

Let the TSA figure it out; they have nothing else to do.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

There are "bleeder" caps available. As you screw the cap on the cylinder a peg in the cap opens the valve.
peterz

Post by peterz »

Steyr says to take the fill adapter that goes to the DIN nipple on your scuba tank and screw that onto your gun cylinder. And be prepared for a very loud 'woosh'!

I imagine FWB is about the same.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

Anschutz ships a specific air bleeder for the 9003 air rifle. I thought the adapter would be good enough, but maybe the bleeder limits the flow. I imagine the cylinder could act like a rocket if the pressure is released rapidly. I'll just add, use caution.
bebloomster

Post by bebloomster »

peterz wrote:Steyr says to take the fill adapter that goes to the DIN nipple on your scuba tank and screw that onto your gun cylinder. And be prepared for a very loud 'woosh'!
Yes, that works. Just screw the adapter in SLOWLY.
randy1952

Re: Unfilling Air Cylinder

Post by randy1952 »

D A Higgins wrote:I'm getting ready to fly with my air rifle, and I was wondering how I empty my air cylinder. It's on a FWB 700 Alu.

Thanks
There should be a black metal cap that comes with the rifle to bleed the air cylinder. I hope the person that gave the advice to let TSA figure it out wasn't serious as TSA will give you two choices: let them confiscate the cylinder or mail it home. TSA agents are given a wide latitude on how they want to interpret the regulations and you won't find much humor from them if you go in there with an attitude and you can stand there arguing logic all day and that won't matter as they only respond to the dictates of the TSA manager at that airport. I would certainly not bled the cylinder in front of the agent as this was done a couple of years ago at Colorado Springs by a person who thought he was being clever and ever since then TSA won't let any air cylinders fly out of Colorado Springs. I was at the Cleveland Airport and the Montana Team Coach came and told me a Delta Manager had just confiscated a FWB P70 air cylinder because the cylinder had a little residual air left in the cylinder after the NRA 3P Airgun Championship. This action was totally wrong as far as my understanding of the regulations you are supposed to be given the two choices mentioned, but instead there was no discussion he just grabbed the cylinder and went back to his office.
airmaxindia12

Post by airmaxindia12 »

The rod within the air cylinder fits into the shaft and is capable of moving freely in and out. The plunger of the air cylinder is attached to the end of the rod and cannot be seen.

Pneumatic cylinders