Pellet question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Champ600

Pellet question

Post by Champ600 »

I have an LP10 and am trying to find the sweet pellet for the gun. Test target says 4.49 head size(I know that isn't always an accurate indicator), so I was wondering what pellets(brand,weight,head size, etc.) are working in your LP10s. Thanks
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

When I got my LP10 I took the grips off and put the frame in a vice between two pieces of plywood and tightened it down so there was no movement. I shot 10 shot groups with RWS R10 8.2, Miesterkugln 7.0, Hobbys and Basics. When I switched between pellets is fired 5 shot groups first just in case it took a few shots to condition the barrel to the different pellets, which it didn't. The R10's , Mkg's and the Basics all shot nearly identical. The difference was nearly unnoticeable with probably R10's first then the Basics then the Mkg's. My gun deffinately doesn't like Hobby's shooting near dime size groups at 10m. Yours may be different so they are worth a try. I now shoot the Basics at $4.50 a tin. I knew that if I could show myself that they shot good in my gun I would have confidence in them and not wonder if I could do better with more expensive pellets. For me I see no reason to pay $11 or $12 a tin for pellets to gain nothing but a prettier can, besides I put mine in a Pellcan anyway. Try everything you can and shoot the ones you have the most confidence in. Good scores are mostly in your head. R10's can be slung into the white too! Scott
Rover

Post by Rover »

Rare that you see such good advice here.
lastman

Post by lastman »

My LP 10 works best with 4.51mm Vogel's. The 4.49's hold the worst groups of any of the pellets I have tested.

4.5 R10 works almost as well and the normal Meisterklugen are ok enough.

Good luck
BEA

pellet diameter

Post by BEA »

Group size may have as much or more to do with the lead characteristics than diameter. This is why you will get different levels of accuracy from different lots of pellets, even though they are the same diameter. In addition, I think the diameter is measured on the leading edge, so accuracy could be effected by the skirt dimensions.
dactyl

Post by dactyl »

If you are shooting in the 550-560 range... yes you should consider this kind of detail.

Try a simple test... ask a friend to arrange for a couple of different pellet sets (you don’t know brand or diameter).

Shoot those sets and chose the best grouping one ;)
toz35

best size pellet

Post by toz35 »

The US Shooting Team used to get several cases of pellets (25,000 pellets/lot), usually H&H, at once. When team members came to the OTC we would mount guns in a vice and test different lots in each gun.

One year Crossman brought some pellets in for testing and they shot as good as the H&N in some guns. We also tried Nygord pellets (H&H with Nygord's brand label) Meisterkugeln and anything else someone wanted to try.

A few guns would shoot 4.48, most would shoot 4.49 and a few liked 4.5 or 4.51 pellets. Within the same size pellet, some lots would shoot better than others in a given gun. My gun shot 4.49's best and we found 3 lot numbers that shot better than the others. We then shot one of those lots as we changed the velocity of the pellet until it would shoot a 5 shot group through one hole. The hole was so tight a pellet would not drop through it.

From the team's standpoint we were able to distribute 5-10k pellets to each shooter as match lots and then the remainder as practice pellets for the rest of the year. There was enough difference between guns that everyone got good match pellets.

Of course one day I watched Buddy DuVall bend the skirt of a pellet into an oval, put it in his gun, and shoot a 10 with it. Not recommend for match pellets but in reality you can shoot 10's with almost any pellet you can buy.

It really does not matter what brand as long as it shoots well in your gun. If you can find a good pellet that out shoots your skill with your gun, go with it until you think it is holding down your scores.

david
Brian M

Re: best size pellet

Post by Brian M »

toz35 wrote:If you can find a good pellet that out shoots your skill with your gun, go with it until you think it is holding down your scores.

david
Gee, thanks. :) Here I am, a 550~560 shooter who NEVER gave "what pellets" a second though (I've been shooting up a left-over supply of R10 heavy), and now you're making me second-guess that. Never used a chrono, never adjusted the screw on my LP10, never put it in a vice, etc... Basically, I assumed that if I could shoot 550's with my IZH46m while Holding it up, the LP10 would easily allow me to best that thanks to improved grip/hold (bought it for the adjustable grip, my Favorite feature).

Now I'm edging towards being neurotic.

So, thanks again David. :)
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Time once again to preach the gospel accordng to Air Pistol Scoring Rings.

10 ring for AP is 20.5 mm. average LARGE group size for pellets is 9 mm. 6 and 7mm groups are not uncommon. If you are not shooting 10s on EVERY shot.... it ain' t the pellets fault. I don't care who you are or what kind of scores you shoot.

Thus endeth the epistle