Looking for suggestions for an air pistol

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

bebloomster

Looking for suggestions for an air pistol

Post by bebloomster »

Neither the neighbors nor local law enforcement would take too kindly to live fire practice in my back yard. Dry fire practice inside my home is certainly an option but that only goes so far. Keith has mentioned several times getting in quality practice with an air pistol... would be legal in my back yard which is a definite plus.

So started looking around to see what is available. First off, I'm not particularly interested in spending $500+. For that amount of money I'd just buy a couple more cases of CCI SV and go to the range more often than I already do.

Ran across this one which looks like it might be a definite option.

http://www.airgundepot.com/cr23cotrairp.html

Any of you have any experience with the Crossman 2300T? Good points? Bad points? Other pistols that might be a better choice?
quality=$

Post by quality=$ »

If your Bullseye pistol have !@#$ triggers you will feel right at home. The other use would be to screw it to a vacant part of your wall.
bebloomster

Post by bebloomster »

Uh.... thank you for your most insightful evaluation. Quality responses such as yours are always appreciated.... rest assured that I shall give it all the attention it deserves.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Rather than getting a pistol that uses "Powerlets", I'd got for an entry level 10m. pistol, either a pneumatic (single stroke lever), of which there are several, or sometimes, a used mid-level CO2 can be found in your price range, since most shooters are going with the PCP guns. These would all be "competitive" target pistols. The place to post, would be the Olympic Pistol room on this site.

Paul
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Just recently been in your position....

I settled on a Baikal IZH-46M, currently on sale at Pryamid Air. I had also considered the Beeman P-1, which duplicated the .45 grip which matches my Bullseye pistols, but I was won over by some arguments posted on this site and elsewhere. Good gun.

I also have had experience with a RWS Model 6G which I bought twenty years ago. This gun is still in service, but dated....and I couldn't adjust the trigger length. Take a look at the Baikal....

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/show. ... IZH-Baikal
Misny

Post by Misny »

The IZH 46M is the choice of most folks for a reason. That being said, I wouldn't count out the Daisy 747. I started shooting air pistol competition with the model 777 and it was a very good starter gun for not a lot of money.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Quality = $ gave you great advice. Thank him nicely.

For your purpose, look for a used FWB65. It can easily be set up for recoilless, light trigger International Air Pistol OR change over to a heavier weight trigger and recoil in less than a minute.

You should be able to find a decent one way below $400. I've seen rat-beaters for $100. They will shoot with the best.

Post by Guest »

The Daisy 7X7's can be a good choice - IF you can work with their grip. I'd found mine too hard to shoot well, due to the large grip and balance of the pistol. But otherwise they're nice AP's for the price.

There's also the Gamo Compact, which seems to be a take off on the FAS 604. But I've never shot one, so can't comment on their accuracy or handling.
bebloomster

Post by bebloomster »

Bought an IZH 46-M. Not much chance of going wrong with that one for what I want to do.
Finprof

Crosman

Post by Finprof »

One of my gun club members who is rather handy with tools silver-soldered the sear to build it up, then gradually re-shaped the sear for minimal creep and a crisp letoff and installed a light trigger spring. The result is a trigger like my Izzy. It probably took him a day of work for him to accomplish this feat, and for me it would not be cost-effective, but it can be done.
Sc0

Post by Sc0 »

I was in your shoes years ago and picked up a Beeman P1/HW45. The P1 does have recoil and is hold sensitive due to the spring action, the power is not needed. The P1 mimics the 1911 grip and the trigger is absolutely fantastic, a better option would be a Beeman P2/HW75 or P3/HW40. Both of these alternatives are single pump pneumatic with good triggers. (P2 shares the same trigger as the P1, P3 is a bit different but still equally as good.)

I had a crossman 1377, the grip angle is all wrong and the trigger is absolutely tragic... Eventually it fell apart...
old gaffer

Post by old gaffer »

I'm using a Daisy 747 (same as Avanti 747, I think) and with just a little practice I'm shooting sharpshooter scores.

That said, I'm considering moving up to a pre-charged pistol as I'm left-handed and the side cocking arrangement just doesn't suit me too well.

The big problem is trying to find something suitable between the Daisy and the Steyr/FWB

All the best,
Rob
reason for edit: can't type