How many of you use weights on your air pistol?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dev

How many of you use weights on your air pistol?

Post by Dev »

Ok didn't qualify for the nationals this time, I have tons of excuses...improper sleep, trying to be a morning person, the bright white light, slippery floor, too old...too whatever :-).
So now that the pressure is off, I am back to training, few days a week. And then I thought that since my nerves got the better of me and my pistol shook like a twig, let's train with the weights on.
This way my shots goes either up or down with a few going to the side. Shot some sixty pellets to begin and shot some 516/600. Have shot way better before but it has been two weeks since I last practiced.
1)What do you gents think about using weights on the pistol?
2)What do you think about revisiting the basics, trigger, hold, stance?
I have been hearing contradictory things so I would like to benefit from your collective wisdom.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you.

Dev

Post by Guest »

i use steyr lp10.

first shoot score 550 average i use all 4 additional weigh on the bottom (near trigger)

than average 560 up i use all 4 near barrel tip.

now my score 568-577 and several 580 to 583 i take off all additional weight on my pistol. Because weight masked my mistake and make extra power to maintain pistol on steady position
David Levene

Re: How many of you use weights on your air pistol?

Post by David Levene »

Dev wrote:I have tons of excuses...improper sleep, trying to be a morning person, the bright white light, slippery floor, too old...too whatever :-).
They're not excuses, they're the basis for your training plan.
Spencer

Re: How many of you use weights on your air pistol?

Post by Spencer »

Dev wrote:2)What do you think about revisiting the basics, trigger, hold, stance?Dev
Answer:
daily, hourly, and before each shot is a good start

Sheesh, Dev! you forgot follow-through and breathing and focussing on/at the front sight.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Dev.

Why don't you train sitting down? It is a Russian national team routine.

Once you have convinced yourself shooting good score with just simply a good front/back grip, good alignment, good trigger pull, and good follow through.

Then incorporate the last part, proper stance.

Sitting down will also let you know what your most comfortable, proper foot stance, hip, and shoulder position will be.

Training sitting down first.

It builds UP, and it builds Down.

Train like the Russians.
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

paraphrased.

What is the purpose of this method? When we shoot while standing, the “shooter-weapon” system has oscillations, each part of the body moves in relation to the rest.While seated with the forearm supported we eliminate the movements of the arm and body and retain control of the stabilization of the wrist.
If someone out there is thinking that shooting with a support is easy, the first shots will take this idea out of his head. Let me tell you how a perfect shooter, Anatoliy Yegrishchin, who is currently the coach of the Russian team, made his first shots with a support. In early 1986, at the shooting camp of the Soviet Armed Forces in Lvov, the shooting capital of the Ukraine, as I was explaining to the shooters in my group the essential nature of training with a support, I asked them to reach a consensus on the matter, to either accept or reject my theory, with their personal coaches. All 10 shooters confirmed their acceptance of my proposal. On the third day of training Yegrishchin arrived and when he saw his colleagues shooting while seated, Siemionych (as his friends called him) asked me, “What are you doing?”When he heard my explanations he said,“Now I’m going to make 600. ”Imagine what he felt when his first shot was a high 6 and then a low 6. Siemionych learned this training method very fast, faster than any of the young shooters, but he was one of the best shooters in the world, with 581 points in free pistol when he was shooting actively.
Military shooters used this method in 1986, 1987 and 1988. The first competition we had was only after 2 months of training and we won seven national competitions in a row in free pistol and air pistol, leaping ahead of the “dynamo” team, which had beaten the military in the previous seven years. I do not believe that this success was only due to this training, but its positive effect seems certain. The main obstacle in the spread of this training method is the conservative spirit, if not laziness, of coaches and shooters, as well as a lack of confidence in the effectiveness of something new. The positive effect is not immediately revealed and it is different in each shooter. Some, especially those hunting for the ideal moment, can even see their results worsen temporarily. Those who are capable of applying this method with tenacity and work on this exercise for 40 to 60 minutes aday, are never going to regret the time they invest in this work.
lastman

Post by lastman »

Hi Dev,

I find the weights on my LP10 help me keep the front sight more stable. I have all 4 weights that come with the LP10 sitting just behind the front sight and it really helps steady the pistol.

The extra weight in not an issue... you're talking about 80 grams or so.

There is no secret to shooting. The more you work on improving the basics, the more you improve your scores. The more you improve your score, the more you work on your basics.

Good luck

Merry Christmas to all. If you don't celebrate it then happy holidays.
Dev

To begin anew and dream again

Post by Dev »

Thank you gents.
I think Spencer you have nailed the problem, even though I was calm outwardly, inside I was struggling to recover from the first seven. My match strategy was also a little off. What I had done at the trials was shoot about four sighters and then get into the score shots. When I did the same here all the four sighters were 9's and so I thought good enough and began the match. First scoring shot was a 7 :-/. Anyway I have to move on.
Seamaster I shall train like a Russian now. Thank you Lastman for the tips about the weights they should take care of the treble that surfaces occasionally. And thanks also to the un named guest for your help.
I don't know how I would have gone ahead without all of you.

I shall celebrate Christmas even though not born a Christian simply because I love the idea and the sheer flow of positivity the day brings. I wish that we all have a great year and may Santa put our names down for medals next year. Ho...ho...ho

Dev
LeLongCarabine

Post by LeLongCarabine »

i think the weight of a 480k is enough without adding any extra weight
i have a system of training when i get bored i set the timer for 30seconds then start it, raise the pistol and hold the sight picture on target till the timer rings, then i fire, wait one minute then repeat the process for about fifteen shots this i find strengthens your arm muscles
rather than lifting weights which use all arm muscles this way really tune the ones used for my pistol shooting
dont know if anyone disagrees with it
Will
peterz

Post by peterz »

Seamaster, by and large what you're suggesting makes some real sense, but I can't quite visualize how the shooter sits and supports his arm. Do you face the target and table, do you sit with your body at about the angle you would face if you were on your feet?

By any chance, do you have a picture you could post or e-mail to me?

And how/when do you make the transition to shooting standing and unsupported?

Many thanks!

pete z
peterz

Post by peterz »

Dev,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. You'll make it through next time!
yana

Post by yana »

I use weights on the morini, Tau 7 and hammerli AP40 (alu barrel)
gatorpan

Sitting? No Weights

Post by gatorpan »

I guess training sitting down is nice. When I do it I get great scores. When I stand it is a whole different game. But I guess if you have not mastered the basics, then sitting does minimize a variable but standing is a big variable.

No weights on my LP10E.