Coach in NE Florida?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

toddinjax

Coach in NE Florida?

Post by toddinjax »

Can anyone recommend a coach to me for 10m offhand? I'm in the Jacksonville FL area, I'd be willing to drive a couple hours if I have to. Closer would be better of course for return visits. I don't know anyone that shoots target AR and I'd really like to get some good advise before any poor habits become ingrained. Thanks.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Todd,

Your search points out one of the significant problems with international smallbore in the US right now, access to coaching is spotty at best.

One thing you may look into would be clinics offered by the AMU. Often in conjuction with major tournaments the AMU will conduct shooting clinics. Based on your being in JAX you would likely have to drive a bit and spend a night or two but the coaching is top notch.

You would have to contact the AMU to find out if they have a clinic schedule up for the coming year. I did one of their clinics at Camp Perry back in the mid-80s. Sometimes I still refer to the notes I took that week.

Sorry I don't have a better suggestion but as I noted at the beginning there are not very many smallbore coaches out there, then ones who really understand position development are even harder to find.

Good Luck,
'Dude
Old10MShooter

10M AR in Jacksonville

Post by Old10MShooter »

Hi Todd,

Check out Gateway Pistol and Rifle Club in Jacksonville. They have a 10M AR range, a 4H club and if I am not mistaken, a coach. They meet twice a week and used to have USAS sanctioned AR PTO. The club is famous for having its shooters (particularly to the ladies) being selected to universities into Citadel and West Point on shooting scholarships.

I would also suggest that you invest in two books - Ways of the Rifle and Air Rifle Shooting. Once your scores climb to 565 (in a mock match), invest in SCATT Electronic trainer.

Most importantly, to start, make sure you have the right equipment - a good AR and shooting clothes. Happy shooting and Good Luck!

Raj
bugman551

coach in ne florida

Post by bugman551 »

I will add another fine book. Available from the CMP, International Rifle Shooting. Pictures and how to's from the MTU.
he asked for a coach

the difference

Post by he asked for a coach »

Toddinjax asked about finding coaches.

A coach is a coach.
A book is a book.

If you only want to read, get the books, but if you want to shoot get a coach.
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

Does this last post mean if you have a coach you can't read books ?
I have a coach and also books on shooting, they both have supplied me with good information on shooting/technique etc.