Styer LP10 or LP10E

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Joe350

Styer LP10 or LP10E

Post by Joe350 »

I'm thinking about buying a new air pistol. After days of thinking and reading this forum I decided to go for Styer LP10. But I'm not sure about trigger: mechanical or electronic?

For several years I've competed with center fired pistols:
Sig P210-5
Sig Hammerli P240
and ZKR 551 revolver.
Trigger weight was around 1400g.
Missing shooting and competing during winter got me thinking of AP.

In your opinion or experience, which trigger on LP10 will be easier for me to get used to?
Thank you.
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Maybe you can like a trigger regulated quite heavy, but with a extra dry release... so an Electronic one, talking about Steyr.
In my humble opinion, mechanical trigger of Steyr Lp10 is not as pleasant as other mechanical trigger like Pardini, Fas or Feinwerkbau; so take a perfect pistol (steyr lp10) with a good trigger (E)!
I want to underline that imho Steyr mechanical trigger is not pleasant, but for sure is fully capable of ten 10's in a row.
lastman

Post by lastman »

It's such a personal preference question.

Personally I like mechanical trigger more. The next guy may hate them.

Nobody can tell you what will feel right for you. Try and find someone who has 1 and ask if you can give em a try.

That is the only way you will ever know.

However which ever one you pick, they are specky pistols and I'm sure you will shoot lots of 10's

Good luck
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Mechanical and electronic feel quite different, and as mentioned above, it's really down to personal preference. I really like the LP10 trigger and mine is the old, pre ball bearing, version but again it's a personal thing.

Rob.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Keep in mind also that LP10 mechanical triggers do wear over time. Having had the opportunity to shoot both new and old LP10's I can say the older pistols definitely felt better - less "gritty". Adding ball bearings improved the LP10 mechanical trigger in most cases, but still did not make it as smooth as the Morini triggers, either mechanical or electronic.

Also it is worthwhile to mention that some LP10's cannot achieve a low 2nd stage trigger weight. Mine was one of them - if I recall the lowest it would go was something like 200-250grams on the 2nd stage, even with the help of the Steyr factory techs. I have since sold that pistol to an individual who has done quite well with it, so obviously triggers are very much a matter of personal preference.

So far the Morini's have the most repeatible trigger performance of any pistol I have shot, but I also have not yet had an opportunity to shoot an LP10E. I have shot an MG1E and must say that it has a beautiful trigger feel. I'm just not too keen on the location of the electronics and the funky battery used to power them.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I have the 50e, not the 10e. And I have to say that I love the feeling of the trigger. I am not a fan of the Morini eTrigger, and I only bought 50e because I wanted the 5 shot, and the mechanical LP50 trigger is crap. But this is lovely, less creep than the 162ei trigger, and no movement at all except wheere you want it. Huge downside of the e-models though is the grip adjustment, which is far more limited and difficult to customize than on the mechanical Steyrs.
bijupaul

Post by bijupaul »

Tycho wrote:Huge downside of the e-models though is the grip adjustment, which is far more limited and difficult to customize than on the mechanical Steyrs.
Is it true? My understanding was Unlike Morini Electronic, Steyr can have all the grip adjustments which are possible on mechanical version , at least in the case of LP10E not sure of LP50E.

Edit :Yes, Its confirmed just watch this video, LP10E retains all the grip adjust options (screws) of LP10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7CK1xEysBc

Biju
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

In theory, yes. In fact, no. With the long screw to the underside of the grip, it was possible to turn and twist it far more than with the short screw to the back. And adjusting the grip for height was really easy - just grind down the plastic bit, or throw it away and use something else, and you'd have the sight screws right on top of your hand. The "e-grip" is much more difficult to shift around the frame, and you can't just give it an extra twist to keep it in place, it won't stay if the adjustment screws aren't perfect.
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Tycho, do you like the LP50E trigger for "regular" slow fire? I like the idea of having the 5 shot capability but also the single shot capability! What do you think? I am also a little shocked that the electric trigger is over $400 dollars more than the mechanical, is it worth it in the LP10? It sounds like it is worth it in the LP50? The Morini triggers are not that much difference in price? Thanks, Dwaine.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I do most of my shooting in regular single shot style :-) I always preferred the LP5* to the one-shot pistols, something to do with balance - the 5-shots are a bit heavier around the frame. Fooled around with the LP1 and the LP10 over the years, always came back to the LP5, despite the awful trigger. So when they finally (about 15 years after I saw the first prototype) brought the 5-shot with the e-trigger, I had to get one. And yes, the trigger is great. And on my level, all potential deficits of the LP50e against the LP10e are purely theoretical - any good shot is a 10, and even the 50e has no recognizable muzzle jump. In a LP10, I'm not sure if I'd go for the e-trigger. But if you want a 5-shot, I really recommend the 50e.