Need a quiet precision air rifle

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

montster

Need a quiet precision air rifle

Post by montster »

I need a very quiet AR for practicing in a room below a bedroom of a light sleeper. Any match rifle models that are or can be made whisper quiet?
Same need for air pistol. Obviously dry fire is quiet but sometime I like to punch a few 10 and x's. :)
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

It's more the trap you have to worry about. Air rifles are pretty quiet, but a metal or lexan backstop makes way more noise if you don't dampen it.

The only practical way I can think of to make a competition air rifle quieter is to add a bloop tube, and in terms of the rules, there's only so much you can add.
montster

Duct Seal Trap

Post by montster »

I am using duct seal in a trap to dampen the target. No issue with noise from the impact.

Re: Need a quiet precision air rifle

Post by Guest »

montster wrote:I need a very quiet AR...Obviously dry fire is quiet but sometime I like to punch a few 10 and x's. :)
Older spring-piston air rifles are much more quiet than any of the later designs. You won't give up accuracy with a good springer, either.

Spring air pistols are also quiet, but are unfortunately challenged by size and weight.
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

The guys I shoot silhouettes with put rubber gromets from the hardware store in the blupe tube. They space them an inch from the end of muzzle and then every inch after that and they are very quiet. I shot next to a guy with an Air Force Edge that did that and the only thing you could hear was the trigger go click. And then the clang of the metal silhouette being hit. It was completely silent. Scott
robf

Re: Need a quiet precision air rifle

Post by robf »

Anonymous wrote:
montster wrote:I need a very quiet AR...Obviously dry fire is quiet but sometime I like to punch a few 10 and x's. :)
Older spring-piston air rifles are much more quiet than any of the later designs. You won't give up accuracy with a good springer, either.

Spring air pistols are also quiet, but are unfortunately challenged by size and weight.
Over a silenced pcp, a springer will be louder even when silenced as the action itself creates a lot of noise.

The bloop tube idea sounds good if a silencer can't be fitted... if the target trap is quiet, then this will be the only sound. Various AR's will be different in how they project the sound due to muzzle design, but they will be of the same order unless they have any silencing.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

SMBeyer wrote:The guys I shoot silhouettes with put rubber gromets from the hardware store in the blupe tube. They space them an inch from the end of muzzle and then every inch after that and they are very quiet. I shot next to a guy with an Air Force Edge that did that and the only thing you could hear was the trigger go click. And then the clang of the metal silhouette being hit. It was completely silent. Scott
I used one rubber faucet washer on the end of my Anschutz 9003, and it cut the report by about 1/2. You can also but a true silencer for air rifle, but I think it must be permanently attached. They are legal for air guns, but if they can be removed and used for powder burners, the BATF would consider that a federal crime in the USA.
solid7

Post by solid7 »

TerryKuz wrote: They are legal for air guns, but if they can be removed and used for powder burners, the BATF would consider that a federal crime in the USA.
Unless, of course, it was legally owned... In which case, a suppressor for a .22 or .17 (HM2 or HMR) would work fine, in most cases.