Transition from precision to sporter?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

TopGuns

Transition from precision to sporter?

Post by TopGuns »

I'm coaching a couple of fairly good precision shooters but to make a 4 person team these 2 were asked to switch to sporter for an upcomming match. Both are more then willing but quite frustrated at the change in equipment and their seeming inability to make that nice slow small hold in standing that they are accustomed to.
Anyone out there ever run into this and have any last minute "pep talks" for my guys? Any advice for helping them deal with the change?
This change is not permanent and they will be right back in the "P" gear next match.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

First of all, congratulate those two shooters for being team players ... it's tough for the kids to move back to the sporter for a match.

We have to do this in 4-H with our precision shooters at our state match time. Our precision shooters move back and shoot the sporters and I think that you have to prep them for a set of lower scores .... it's not just the jacket and pants ... I think that is minimal .... but I do think the difference in the trigger is the largest contributor to the lower scores.

My 97% shooters will fall back to about 94-95% (standing)
My 94% shooters will go down to even 85% (standing)

Just look at the 3-P National records (standing) 99.5% Precision & 96% Sporter.

I use those few weeks (maybe 3) that they go back to sporter to challenge me to find the hidden issues that may have developed in their positions and get them fixed. Then we always have a strong comeback when they move back to their p-guns. From a coaching perspective, I think it helps me.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

I'll second the remarks by Joel. When I had the occasion to do this, I used much of the time for "dry holding" without a target, to impress upon the shooter just how steady he could hold, and to train the unconscious mind on what the new expectation of "good" hold was.
2650 Plus

Precisioin to Sporter

Post by 2650 Plus »

Time in position helped my shooters better than encourgment or kind words. Try to increase the position hold time for your shooters to allow their bodies to develope the ballance and positional changes/ fine tuning necessary to hold the lighter and less perfectly shaped rifle still. Good SHooting Bill Horton