MG2 ammo

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
greg

MG2 ammo

Post by greg »

I see others have been able to use different types of ammo in a MG2, but I can only use CCI reliably, If I use sk, eley, lapua they all start feeding wrong after a few shots and I get jam ups. Any idea's at what to look at or a possible problem. Thanks.
Another Owner

Post by Another Owner »

You are one of a large crowd...

Send your gun to the MG factory in Italy and demand them to get your gun to cycle reliably with a wide range of ammo.
An expensive match auto like the MG2 ought to be reliable with most popular high quality ammo.

The MG2 has always been riddled with reliability issues.
RJP

MG2

Post by RJP »

I completely disagree with "Another Owner".

My MG2 has been completely reliable after the initial break in period.

I use SK Pistol Match ammo.

I clean my MG2 about every brick or 2 of ammo.

Greg, is your MG2 an early model of later model ? Later models should digest any ammo.

Post by Guest »

It was one of the originals but was sent back with problems and modifications were done. It is definately more reliable but still having trouble with other than CCI ammo. SK is what i would like to use but always malfunctions in competitions.
Brian James as Guest

Post by Brian James as Guest »

I have an early model MG2 and a new MG2RF. I had fair number problems with my first generation MG2. With that said I had a lot of good support from MG. One of the changes that assisted the reliability of the pistol was changing the magazines.

MG now produces magazine that are maybe 2-3 mm longer. This seems to enabled me to shoot any ammo. For the cost of a couple of magazines its likely well worth the effort.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Brian
Ernie Rodriguez

MG 2 Reliability

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

I have had my MG 2 for less than 2 years and thanks to modified parts supplied by S.C. of Matchguns and support by ISS, the pistol and 3 magazines -operates flawlessly.In fact I can't think of any decent quality brand of SV ammo that causes any problems.
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

Mine is also perfectly reliable with Eley, Federal Gold Match, CCI and SK.

If anything, I'm surprised that yours would function best with CCI, given that it's known as a slighter longer cartridge (and I suspect may be the reason that the magazines were lengthened, as mentioned by Brian).

However, there have been numerous component upgrades. Mine's been back to Italy for repair and is still a bit of a mish-mash of different "versions." It sounds to me like a trip back to the factory may be in order for an upgrade to yours.
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

Having just shot my first full sport pistol match yesterday with my MG2RF, running CCI SV ammo, I had several malfuntions where the ammo wouldn't fire. The firing pin barely hit the case.

I have also tried Fiocchi, but it has problems feeding and often crushes the loaded cases.

Does anyone have any tips or advise on this issue?

Cheers
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I'm not an MG2 expert, but there are couple general possibilities. If you can easily manage with an MG2, try dropping an unfired round into the chamber. If it doesn't drop in all the way, either the chamber is dirty, or the ammo is slightly oversized for your pistol. Instead of the hammer driving the firing pin into the rim, it's using up energy pushing the slide all the way closed first. Then it doesn't have enough force left to crush the rim properly. Another thing that can suddenly cause misfires is a broken firing pin.

I've been trying to use up a miscellaneous collection of .22 rim fire odds & ends I've accumulated over the years. Last week with a freshly cleaned Pardini SP, I tried some old Remington standard velocity. I had several misfires, after which it was VERY hard to open the slide. Some of the cartridges were just a tiny bit on the large side, and were getting jammed into the chamber by the slide. Eley Sport & a couple flavors of CCI were fine.
Podgorny

Reports from real life shooting with the MG2

Post by Podgorny »

Anonymous wrote:It was one of the originals but was sent back with problems and modifications were done. It is definately more reliable but still having trouble with other than CCI ammo. SK is what i would like to use but always malfunctions in competitions.
Been there, done that.

Your report is clearly from real world use of the MG2, not any of disquized factory related promotions we may see in some other post regarding the MG2.

Thanks for telling us the truth, Brian/guest.
Podgorny

Post by Podgorny »

brakarzac wrote:Having just shot my first full sport pistol match yesterday with my MG2RF, running CCI SV ammo, I had several malfuntions where the ammo wouldn't fire. The firing pin barely hit the case.

I have also tried Fiocchi, but it has problems feeding and often crushes the loaded cases.

Does anyone have any tips or advise on this issue?

Cheers
Thanks "brakarzac" for your report covering your MG2 problems.
Don't let them "factory-promoters" here deny/cover up the difficulties.
Ernie Rodriguez

MG 2 Problem

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Gwhite was correct. Make sure chamber is very clean.Some brands of ammo are perhaps slightly oversized,have a thicker coating of grease/wax/lubricant,thicker rim or slightly longer cartridge length. ALL of these will make chambering a round more difficult. If the round falls in the chamber,as Gwhite suggest,it will probably function OK. This is assuming that there are no problems else where.Hope this info helps.
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

Podgorny wrote:Thanks "brakarzac" for your report covering your MG2 problems.
Don't let them "factory-promoters" here deny/cover up the difficulties.
Yes, please don't post anything regarding Matchguns unless you have something negative to say. Sheesh.
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

In regards to companies to denying and covering things up. I think it is safe to say that MG is one of the better companies at resolving issues with their pistols.

This forum has reports of problems with MG, but from others as well including the Walther SSP, Tesro TS22, Hammeli F10, the list continues...

The point is while none of us want problems, they occur from time to time. How a company resolves a problem is very important to me and wins my loyalty. MG has done a good job in my opinion. As has Morini Comp Arms and Pardini in my personal experience.

Brian

(Brain James as Guest in this threat)
landb

Post by landb »

Had mine for about five years #11XX the only problems I had was a broken hammer spring it will shoot any ammo but sk. Even sub sonic ammo.
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

After the issues I have experienced so far with CCI and Fiocchi. I am at the point where I have just ordered Eley Tenex and Eley Pistol Match to run through the MG2RF.

Tenex will be used in comp only, with Pistol Match my practice ammo.

If I continue to have problems, at least I will know its the gun and not the ammo at fault.

Cheers
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I'd give Matchguns a call before I resorted to buying expensive ammo. From what I've seen they seem to be pretty responsive to customer issues. There was even a guy on this form for awhile.
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

Richard H wrote:I'd give Matchguns a call before I resorted to buying expensive ammo. From what I've seen they seem to be pretty responsive to customer issues. There was even a guy on this form for awhile.
Being based in Australia, its a lot of effort and possibly time that I dont have to wase to right now. Its just easier to buy better grade ammunition and if the problem is still there, then have the local importer fix it for me.

Basically, if a gun cant run onTenex, there is seriously something wrong with it.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Have you contacted them at all, an email takes a couple of minutes. They may know whats causing the issue, it might be a part or an adjustment.

Personally I think contacting them would have been more productive then posting on this forum, but that's just me. Contacting Matchguns doesn't stop you from testing Tennex while you wait for their answer, but it allows you to get the process underway if you or your importer require their service.

The other reason I suggested contacting them is you've tried a number of different ammunitions none of which seemed to have worked for you, so I think it is highly doubtful that Tennex is going to work either just because it costs more. I've yet in my life seen a handgun that will only function on Tennex reliably.
GREG

Post by GREG »

I have contacted MG and was given the importers details in Australia and we will be going through the upgrades for the gun as i have an early version and there is a lot of upgrades that can be done to bring it up to scratch. We let this forum know how it all goes and the results.