Dry fire

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dev

Dry fire

Post by Dev »

I don't know if someone has asked this question, so please pardon me if I do.
How long do you gents dry fire (amateur level, guys who also work for a living :-) ). I do some sixty figure of eights on a target and then do some 30/40 dry fires, sometimes with a ten second hold during the shot.

The longest that I have the patience to practice is an hour and a half or so.
Does half an hour every day help?

Regards,

Dev
Heba

Post by Heba »

What do u mean by sixty figures of eight?
Dev

60 figure of eights

Post by Dev »

Oops pardon me for not explaining that. I hold the pistol and then move it over the target slowly in two interconnected loops or the figure of eight. Basically , one attempts to create imaginary figure of eights over the target. :-)

Dev
David Levene

Re: 60 figure of eights

Post by David Levene »

Dev wrote:Basically , one attempts to create imaginary figure of eights over the target.
Why?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Why?
Thanks David....Im also interested.
keithwwalker

Post by keithwwalker »

I heard that figure 8's help with your human 'rythym' of movement. You are never really still, unless you can stop your heart beating, and even then...

That is where those laser based systems like SCATT can help visualize immensely. Too bad its so damned expensive
http://www.scatt.com/software.htm
http://www.centershot.com/scattinfo.htm
Last edited by keithwwalker on Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
jipe

Post by jipe »

One question about dry fire in the AP60 qualification.

I always thought and still think that dry fire is allowed during qualifications and not during finals:
ISSF Pistols Rules 8.6.4.4.1 wrote: The competition is considered as having started from the moment
the command “START” is given by the Chief Range Officer. Every
shot fired after the competitor completes his sighting shots must be
counted in the competition. However, dry firing is allowed.
ISSF Pistols Rules 8.6.4.5.2 wrote: Any release of the propelling charge, after the first competition
target is in place, without a hit on the target will be scored as a
miss. Dry firing without release of the propelling charge is permitted
except during Finals
But a friend of mine got a remark from the range officer of not doing dry fire while he was doing it during the qualifications but it was not counted as a miss ? Any explanation ??
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

keithwwalker wrote:I heard that figure 8's help with your human 'rythym' of movement. You are never really still, unless you can stop your heart beating.
You would need to stop your heart beating for several minutes (die) before you became really still. Most movement in pistol shooting is due to the muscles involved in supporting the pistol.

I have been using Scatt with shooters for about 15 years and cannot remember seeing a natural "figure 8" trace.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

jipe wrote:But a friend of mine got a remark from the range officer of not doing dry fire while he was doing it during the qualifications but it was not counted as a miss ? Any explanation ??
I can only think of 2 explanations (although there may be more).

1) For some reason shooting during the qualification stage shooting had been stopped (maybe range staff were going forward)

2) The range officer was wrong.

The following rules apply to the qualification stages of 10m & 50m Rifle & Pistol events.

6.11.2.1.2 Then they will be given the command "PREPARATION TIME BEGINS NOW". Before and during the Preparation Time shooters may handle their guns, dry fire, carry out holding and aiming exercises on the firing line providing there are no personnel forward of the firing points.

6.11.2.2.2 The competition is considered to have started when the Chief Range Officer has given the command "START". Every shot fired after the competitor completes his sighting shots must be recorded for the Competition. However, dry firing is allowed.
Dev

Post by Dev »

David Levene wrote:
Dev wrote:Basically , one attempts to create imaginary figure of eights over the target.
Why?
Hi David,

I was told to do it by a shooter/mentor like a holding exercise. I assumed that it helped to strengthen the muscles required for air pistol shooting. I am sorry as I don't know more than that.

Regards,

Dev
bijupaul

Post by bijupaul »

David Levene wrote:
Why?
I've seen similar exercise advised to the pistol shooters for making their hold more study and light it uses a dumbbell for Tracing a figure of '8' both vertically and horizontally, I found this under Special Exercises over here.
http://www.potfire.com.au/info/airtrain.htm

Probably, Dev using a version of it with pistol over target.

Regards,

Biju
Last edited by bijupaul on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
keithwwalker

Post by keithwwalker »

Figure 8's may also be covered in this book:
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I also shoot rifle, and a figure-8 is a fairly typical wobble pattern. However, I don't think it has much to do with pistol. I know my wobble is much more random. If anything, it's more vertical than horizontal.