lp10 trigger adjustment

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
SMBeyer

lp10 trigger adjustment

Post by SMBeyer »

When I checked my trigger from the factory the weight was something like 518 grams. After shooting it for about 6 months now I wanted to try increasing the weight of the first stage. I turned the pull weight screw in 1 1/2 turns and the second stage weight out 1 1/2 turns. It seems like the overall or "break" weight is where it should be but at the moment I dont have access to a guage. Does it seem to you if I turned each spring equal amounts in opposite directions I would end up with an overall weight that was close to my starting point?
Scott
David Levene

Re: lp10 trigger adjustment

Post by David Levene »

SMBeyer wrote:Does it seem to you if I turned each spring equal amounts in opposite directions I would end up with an overall weight that was close to my starting point?
Not necessarily.

You could easily be shooting with a trigger that is heavier than it should be or, just as likely, cheating by using a trigger that is too light.

Buy, borrow or make a trigger weight.
Ricardo as guest

Post by Ricardo as guest »

A 500 mL water bottle, full, weighs between 550 and 600 g. A piece of string and a little fiddling with how you suspend the bottle will give you a workable "gauge" that will at least ensure you're not under 500g.
Luftskytter-

Post by Luftskytter- »

I also use a 1/2 litre plastic Coke bottle with screw-on cap.
Make a simple steel hook from a heavy duty paper-clip or steel clotheshanger so you can hang it from the trigger.
Just weigh the bottle on a digital kitchen scale.
Doesn't hurt to make it 510 grammes to avoid risk of being accused of cheating.

BTW, after playing around I found that you may as well make the increase from first stage to trigger release about 100 grammes.
Less than that makes taking up the first stage "slack" rather sensitive.
Less may be OK when training, but in competition it's nice to have some "solid ground".
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

Thanks for the info guys, I will do one of the three-buy,borrow,or build a trigger weight. Never thought of the scale and string thing. I will try going by Bed Bath and Beyond tomorrow. Scott
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

A 500gram tub of margerine/butter, weighs just over 500 grams and if attached with a piece of string makes quite a good makeshift trigger weight. If you have some spent air pellets and an old metal coat hanger you could easily cast your own weight. Using the electronic kitchen scales to check your masterpiece and at least it will be easy to trim the weight down to your preferred value. Both ideas save spending a lot of money on a weight.
ronpistolero

LP 10 trigger adjustment

Post by ronpistolero »

As an aside, my LP10's first stage sits on about 440 grams, and the let off is 516grams. My biggest problem is that of a creep between these 2 stages that is very discernible. Any suggestions?
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

OK so I got a digital scale that reads in grams and after some filling and sipping of water from a bottle I found that my trigger was set as described from my original post at 487 grams. I fiddled around with the settings and now have the second stage weight back out to its stop? or what feels like a stop. My first stage weight is at 380grams and second stage reliably holds 509grams but wont lift 515grams. Have shot it yet but it feels nice. There is a definate stop between first and second stage but it doesnt take much to get it to brake after the first stage.

I would have to say that when my lp10 was new there was a very minute amount of creep but seems to have either worn in and gone away or the different adjustments I have made has taken it out. It now seems very crisp and the same every time except those few times that it seems like it went up to 4# and just wont break. But after taking it down and a few deep breaths it breaks just like it supposed to:). Thanks for the advice and help, Scott
Tolkach

Post by Tolkach »

SMBeyer wrote:OK so I got a digital scale that reads in grams and after some filling and sipping of water from a bottle I found that my trigger was set as described from my original post at 487 grams. I fiddled around with the settings and now have the second stage weight back out to its stop? or what feels like a stop. My first stage weight is at 380grams and second stage reliably holds 509grams but wont lift 515grams. Have shot it yet but it feels nice. There is a definate stop between first and second stage but it doesnt take much to get it to brake after the first stage.
I use a very similar technique. I purchased an inexpensive digital scale (about $15) that reads in grams and use partially-filled pellet tins placed in a plastic zip-lock bag. I then cut a coat hanger & bent it and just hang the bag with pellets on the trigger as I test. My trigger weighs in at 520 grams.

Chuck