Centra Rearsight

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Nick Mace

Centra Rearsight

Post by Nick Mace »

I'm looking to get back into smallbore shooting after a pretty long absence during which I have remained a very active fullbore (high power/palma for those of you in the US) shooter in the UK.

I am interested in getting the Centra "long range" rearsight for an Anschutz rifle. The main reason is that I can get it with a right handed thread so I won't confuse myself using smallbore sights which turn one way and fullbore sights that turn the other (I'm easily confused!). I also like the vernier scales so that you can know exactly where the sights are set (it was something that always frustrated me about Anschutz, and other smallbore, sights when I used to shoot smallbore).

One potential downside is the slightly odd sight picture as compared with a more conventional smallbore rearsight (although that's not really a problem for me as it is the sight picture I'm used to). The other potential downside is whether the click "resolution" will be fine enough, but I think it is possible to get a version where each click is 1/8th of a minute. I believe that would equate to somewhere between a "10 click" and "20 click" anshchutz sight and I think that sounds about right to me (there is a 1/12th click version but I think that would drive me mad, especially as I will probably do most of my shooting at 25 yards!).

The reason for this post is that I am wondering whether these sights are used successfully for smallbore shooting. I know a number of people who use them for fullbore and they seem to be very good. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't work for smallbore shooting - after all the sight is essentially just supporting the rear apperture and moving it around to centre a group. However, am I missing something? Will people laugh at me if I turned up at a smallbore match with this sight?!

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers

Nick

Post by Guest »

Look silly?

I think the link below should give you the confidence it won't look silly. If Warren Potent is using one, you can be fairly sure its a fantastic bit of kit.

Sonja Pfeilschifter also uses one for air rifle.

The sight has been about for years - tried and tested.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/beijing_oly ... 83,00.html

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/olympia/sc ... ftakt.html
Nick Mace

Post by Nick Mace »

Thanks for this - exactly what I needed to know. Funnily enough I came across that phot of Warren Potent the other day but didn't spot that he used that sight. If it's good enough for him then it's certainly good enough for me...

Cheers

Nick
Roadthing

Post by Roadthing »

I have one not that I am anyone but, I did stay in a Holiday inn once..:o)Image[/img]