My daughter wants to shoot air gun-need help

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

GWCustom

My daughter wants to shoot air gun-need help

Post by GWCustom »

My 10 yr old daughter wants to start shooting with our local Junior Rifle team. They shoot indoor air rifle (CMP sporter air rifle) through most of the year. The rifles that they provide are Daisy 853's that they get from CMP. The problem that we are running into is that she is small (4' 5" 60lbs with an 11" LOP) The 22 rifle that she shoots is a Cricket and that fits her well. The 853's are big for her and also she has a lot of trouble cocking the gun.
So can anyone suggest an alternative to the 853 that can be used in Sporter air rifle but small enough for her to shoot?
Thanks for any help,
Van
cmj

Post by cmj »

The Daisy 888/887 takes care of the cocking problem and if to long can shorten the wood stock pretty easy. Making the stock as short as possible without cutting will probably work.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Another rifle that is approved for the ourse of fire that your daughter might be happy with is the compressed air Air Arms S200. It is just a little smaller than the daisy 888 and 887 and has been a very accurate rifle for the class. Good Shooting Bill Horton

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply's. I live about 20 mins from Camp Perry and the Matches are going on right now. I think I'll take a cruse over there this weekend with my daughter and see if any of the shops on commercial row have any of these air guns for her to try.
Thanks again,
Van
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

The original XS40 (aka S200T) had a LoP about 12". Unless they changed the stock significantly, that is about the shortest stock you will find w/o cutting the stock. Becareful of the S200, as there are specific rules related to this rifle. You do not want to buy one only to find that she can't use it. The guys here can help you with some of the issues related to the S200.

Between the 888 and the 887, I would go with the 887 because of the better designed stock in the area of the pistol grip. The 887 shows a 12" LoP.
http://www.pilkguns.com/daisy887detail.shtml
kpl1913

Post by kpl1913 »

This is a common problem for young juniors.

If you have or a friend has access to a band saw with a fence the stock can be shortened, and a new buttplate can be installed.

Most people wouldn't go through these lengths. But if the rifle doesn't "Hit and fit" (Troy Bassham) you will be wasting your time and the shooter's time. Remember to save the piece that was removed so it can be reinstalled when the junior grows larger.

KPL
Fatman

Shortening a Stock

Post by Fatman »

Hi:

If you do decide to cut the butt stock to shorten it first drill a couple of 1/4" holes (upper and lower) between the original screw holes in the end of the stock before cutting it. Save the cut-off and you can use dowels in the holes to align and re-attach the cutoff as she grows.

Cheers,
Fatman