Group change in CF RF stage with different pistols?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Leon

Group change in CF RF stage with different pistols?

Post by Leon »

I've been puzzling over this anomaly all week.

In CF, I normally use a Manurhin Match MR73 revolver, either .38 or .32. Both guns are fitted with Morini grips. Groups shot with these guns are normally at 2 o'clock in the 8 - 9 ring. I found that using a barrel weight helps bring the groups back in line.

So, last week, I shot CF with a single-action only S&W Model 14-3 - fitted with standard S&W grips - and the grouping was perfect. Dead centre.

Is this due to the grip, trigger control or what?
Makris D. G.

Post by Makris D. G. »

Perhaps the lack of thumbrest on the S&W grip prevents you from "thumbing" when pressing the trigger...
David Levene

Re: Group change in CF RF stage with different pistols?

Post by David Levene »

Leon wrote:Is this due to the grip, trigger control or what?
It's impossible to give a definitive answer at long distance.

How does the trigger reach differ between the guns.

Post by Guest »

What's the difference in trigger weight between the Mod 14 and MR73?

Maybe the Mod 14 is just set up well. It is a superb revolver for CF when tuned. I use one with a Morini style wooden grip.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Its the difference between static and dynamic shooting, a few of the many variables are grip design and trigger position.

For example I made a new grip for my .32, and found instead of having to wind five clicks left when duelling I am now dead on.

I've also been doing a lot of exercises to straighten my slouch (desk jockey), so its hard to know if its that (I don't think so)
David M

Post by David M »

Are you centre aiming or area aiming for your precision ?
If the group is going up and right in duelling you may be using too much trigger finger and hooking the faster trigger pull, or you may also be anticipating recoil and breaking the wrist up.
I shoot a Manurhin .38 (area aim) and change the sights down 16 clicks and 5 right for duelling (aiming just low of the centre aiming line).
Seems to work for me
2650 Plus

Groups in different places when changing pistols

Post by 2650 Plus »

You obviously know where each pistol is grouping. I dont worry why, I just adjust the sights to center the groups and that is what I would recommend Good Shooting Bill Horton
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

As usual, Bill makes a good point. Are the group sizes comparable? As long as each produces a good group, adjust the sights and who cares?