Smallbore Choices

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

X_SB

Smallbore Choices

Post by X_SB »

I am looking for a new smallbore. I shoot Woman's 3-P and do not want a fluted barrel. I have been looking at many different options including the FWB 2700 (Since I shoot a FWB 700) and The Anschutz Precise.
I have noticed that the 2700 has been out since 2004, and although stock adjustments ect. haven't changed much does anyone expect a new model in the near future? With the new 1918 I would imagine a following model soon.

I know that the 2013 action is the heavier action/barrel is it possible to attach a lighter aftermarket barrel to lessen the weight?

Does anyone know much about the new 2007 action?

I am expecting to add a new barrel to increase accuracy eventually hence the 20 series instead of 19 to decrease gunsmith fees. Does anyone believe that the 19 series is actually better?

If you were a female 3-P shooter what would you buy?
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

well i am not a female so i dont have the same weight limit as you do. but my teammate is. She shoots a 2013 with the short barrel (500mm? 550?) and a bloop tube. she shoots the rifle with a Stopper stock.

I dont think there is any difference between the 2007 action and the 2013 action. I think the barrel contour is thinner on the 2007.
Matt

Post by Guest »

If I was a female shooter I'd go for the FWB in the lighter 22mm barrel r the 1907, lighter weight Anschutz action.

The 20xx series hasn't ever got the results/acclaim the 19xx series has.

Don't be put off by the FWB being about for a while, the 1907/1913 action is based on the Match 54 action, which has been made for decades.
No

Post by No »

"The 20xx series hasn't ever got the results/acclaim the 19xx series has."

So, what about Matt Emmons, who uses a 2013?
And a lot of top level benchrest shooters?

Anyway.
You really have to find a good barrel - then you can turn both the 19xx and 20xx action into a killer.
BartP

Post by BartP »

X_SB
Matt has had great success with his 2000 series, but he is really one of the few. His Lilja barrel is the key here. Combined with obvious, dominant skill, he could prob shoot out of a garbage pale and still leave us scratching our heads.

I go by Eric's recommendations exclusively. Simple really. 1800, 1900 series actions, cut barrels, and precision tuners (had I known Eric had his tuners in production...damn. Good info from Shane)

If you are interested, I have a 19.75" 1" reverse taper Benchmark in an 1813 action I am considering selling. The barrel is 1.5 years old. This configuration was built with 3P in mind and would be a good setup for a female looking to keep weight down but have a premier system to work with. Benchmark barrels are pretty wicked - and this one is great. Shot a 597 and a 595 at Nationals and Selections with it last year. The only reason I am considering selling it is because I am now just shooting prone and I needed more weight out front. If someone decided to buy it, I would throw in the tuner/tube that is currently on it. I have the adapter plate for an aluminum stock as well. Asking $1500 but would take $1350. All you would need is a stock.

BartP
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

No doubt in my mind .... 1912. It has the 1907 action and a superb stock for a woman shooter. Remember, if you need to you can always add weight, but if you buy a heavier stock, it's tough to dump weight.
(are you a RH or LH shooter? LH 1912's are getting hard to find)

If you shoot for the club up there, talk to Gary T.

Post by Guest »

So as I expect to change barrels it would be better to find a competent gunsmith with the 19 series instead of using the 2007/13 Is there a possibility of putting an Anschutz action in a Feinwerkbau/walther stock?
X_SB

Post by X_SB »

jhmartin wrote:(are you a RH or LH shooter? LH 1912's are getting hard to find)

I am a right handed shooter
supermatch

Post by supermatch »

No wrote:"The 20xx series hasn't ever got the results/acclaim the 19xx series has."

Anyway.
You really have to find a good barrel - then you can turn both the 19xx and 20xx action into a killer.
Matt uses a Lilja barrel, not a stock Anschutz. How many other 2013s do you see on an international firing point?

Not many
supermatch

Post by supermatch »

Anonymous wrote:So as I expect to change barrels it would be better to find a competent gunsmith with the 19 series instead of using the 2007/13 Is there a possibility of putting an Anschutz action in a Feinwerkbau/walther stock?
Yes, easily. Usually need an adaptor, perhaps $150
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

supermatch wrote:
No wrote:"The 20xx series hasn't ever got the results/acclaim the 19xx series has."

Anyway.
Matt uses a Lilja barrel, not a stock Anschutz. How many other 2013s do you see on an international firing point?

Not many
I'd say 99% of the Chinese shooters
No

Post by No »

Supermatch,
as I wrote, "you really have to find a good barrel - then you can turn both the 19xx and 20xx action into a killer."

By the way, many of the 19xx action users at the WC also has rebarreled their actions with Lilja, Shilen, Bartlein, Border or whatever. But I believe Martynov uses an Anschutz factory barrel...? Does anyone know?