Barrel Extension?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Scott

Barrel Extension?

Post by Scott »

I recently returned to small bore shooting after a 20 plus year hiatus. I have shot in a 4 P match and prone match in the past month.

I have notice that the best shooters are using barrel extensions now.

After doing some doing research I understand the concept as to why folks have migrated to this “technology”.

Does anyone have any advice on buying a Barrel Extension?

Who to buy from - correct length - any other advice. (I have a Anchuitz 1413 if that matters when looking for a extension)

Thanks
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Personally I like to get them slightly longer than what you think you will need (10"??) ... you can always slide the front sight back towards you

I've ordered some from Scott Medesha before, but I think it's hard to get in touch with him how.
http://www.medeshafirearms.com/
Best to call him ... number on website

Bill Earnest makes them in Trevorton, PA and have had a shooter order one from him recently. No website so call him
Earnest Shooting Products
345 East Coal Street
Trevorton, PA 17881
570-797-4872
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

I use Earnest 9" bloop tubes. When I got my first one 10 years ago, as a then sharpshooter my score went up 15 point right away.

You'll have to call Bill first to get prices and shipping but then you must wirte him a paper letter with all the information plus the check. You'll have to mic the end of your barrel for diameter and also measure the distance to one of your front sight block screw holes so he will know where to put the indexing bolt slot.

Get a two step front base while your at it plus a 1/4" spacer for your rear sight. You'll need that spacer to get your rear sight elevation centered with the 9" tube.
BartP

Brian Johnson Carbon tube

Post by BartP »

Brian Johnson is manufacturing a Carbon Fiber tub the fits the Champions Choice collar. I think they are custom cut to length and are grooved for Anschutz sights. Brian is an excellent up an coming shooter with a mind for the technical details. Carbon Fiber assists in vibrational dampening - a main factor in accuracy these days. Brian's Carbon Fiber tubes are light weight, strong, and fairly inexpensive. His phone number is 9195390128.

For a more advance tube assembly: Many smallbore shooters, including Eric U., Gideon, and many others are using tuners these days to fully address the vibrational dampening issue. Tarl Kempley is producing the best set-up I've seen so far (I use one now). It's a low-profile tuner with a carbon fiber tube. The first time I put his tuner on my gun, I shot a perfect 1200 with 108Xs (Perry course). That was WITHOUT having had enough time to do ANY tuning. I tuned the gun along the way! Tarl's extensions and tuners are an investment to be sure. You can see and purchase Tarl's tuners at http://www.beesafeusa.com.

Mesheda is good if you want a standard tube with a set of colors to choose from. Lots of different lengths to choose from as well. BartP
BartP

How Long?

Post by BartP »

Scott-

Go for at least a 40" sight radius. If you have a standard 27" 1413 barrel, you should probably get at least a 10" tube/tuner.

BartP
westerngriz

Post by westerngriz »

heres another idea. Go to a local machine shop and talk to them about making you one. trust me it isnt a very complicated part.
matt

Post by Guest »

Going to a machine shop will cost you an arm and a leg. Ive looked at Eric Uptagraffts tubes and I think they are about the best out there. He makes both the regular tube and the tuner. His prices are pretty good too, I believe its 125 for the regular tube and 185 for the tuner set up. He was telling me they come in different lengths but I cant remember what they were right now. Definintely worth taking a look at. Plus you cant argue with how well his gun shoots with his tuner, He's won a few world cup medals and had the high final in the 2010 USA World cup men's prone. 105.8.

Shane
TraLfaz

Post by TraLfaz »

jhmartin wrote:Personally I like to get them slightly longer than what you think you will need (10"??) ... you can always slide the front sight back towards you

I've ordered some from Scott Medesha before, but I think it's hard to get in touch with him how.
http://www.medeshafirearms.com/
Best to call him ... number on website

Bill Earnest makes them in Trevorton, PA and have had a shooter order one from him recently. No website so call him
Earnest Shooting Products
345 East Coal Street
Trevorton, PA 17881
570-797-4872
I have tried calling and emailing Scott Medesha several times and I have never received an answer. Might just be me. I think that I am going to buy mine from Marc at MTGuns. Good luck.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

TraLfaz wrote:I have tried calling and emailing Scott Medesha several times and I have never received an answer. Might just be me. I think that I am going to buy mine from Marc at MTGuns. Good luck.
You are the 2nd person that has noted that to me. That's a shame as I have 2 Medesha tubes and have no complaints. MTGuns is a good outfit too ... is it a custom tube (one that they make) or a manufacturer (like Anschutz) tube?

Let us know the cost as I have 3 more rifles I have to fit tubes on.
Scott

Eric Uptagrafft's web page?

Post by Scott »

All, thanks for the advice - I think I like Eric Uptagrafft's the best. Does he have web page to order them?

Scott
Eric U

Tube orders

Post by Eric U »

Sorry, no website yet. There is one in the works though.

E-mail me and I will send you an order form. uptagrafft at earthlink dot net.

Thanks,
Eric U