Distinguish Revolver

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Distinguish Revolver

Post by Guest »

Are the Hogue rubber grips (w/finger grooves) OK for Distinguish Revolver matches?
Orpanaut

Post by Orpanaut »

Yes, the Hogue rubber grips are allowed. The rules state that the left and right stocks must be mirror images of each other, but a cut-out for a speedloader on the left side is OK since it's above the portion that's actually held in the hand.

In my humble opinion, the way rule 3.1.4 emphasizes that the revolver be "stock" is rather silly. Why is the original condition so important when revolvers have been made and sold in such a wide range of configurations? Why should a $2500 Korth with a slick trigger and target sights be legal while a $300 Ruger with a trigger job and aftermarket sights isn't? Why should referees have to memorize every S&W catalog from the past twenty years to know which 686 was sold with a patridge front sight and which was sold with a ramp front sight?

I'd much rather see something like the CMP rules for service pistol: any open sights within a certain sight radius limit and any trigger that's safe and will lift a minimum weight.
oldcaster

OldCaster

Post by oldcaster »

The reason for the seemingly unusual rules are to differentiate the Distinguished Revolver match from the Harry Reeves match where hollow base wadcutters and aftermarket and or longer barrels are allowed. Shooting 158 grain bullets accurately in the Distinguished matches from a stock barrel is a challenge as noted in the difference in the scores of the two disciplines. The very word Distinguished makes it stand out as a special challenge.
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

The current rules do allow some trigger work, though the 'external modifications' rule still stands.

Personally I think that a silhouette based rule, similar to those used for EIC service firearms eligibility, would be better. So you could modify or build within a defined profile and configuration. This is a good way to retain the 'service' basis while allowing people to make necessary improvements to an existing revolver. It could also do away with barrel profiles that aren't typical of a service revolver, but are still eligible if they're factory original.

???

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the info, went with the Hogue grips today. Didn't think anything about the front sight that was a ramp and with the help of a file is now a patridge. Nobody said anything during inspection.
Dr. Jim

Location of Rules?

Post by Dr. Jim »

Just for those of us who are a little removed from the hub of all things NRA, where might one find the rules for the Harry Reeves match(s). I know the Distinguished Revolver regs are in the NRA rulebook, but in all my searches on-line, I've been unable to locate the Reeves rules. And since we have, very informally, shot the Reeves match in Alberta, perhaps next time we could abide by the rules, if I can find them.

Cheers Dr Jim
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

I think that the HR match requirements are simply a centerfire revolver w/ iron sights. It's a relatively open spec.
John Hollingshead

Post by John Hollingshead »

Dr. Jim wrote:Just for those of us who are a little removed from the hub of all things NRA, where might one find the rules for the Harry Reeves match(s).
The rules for the Harry Reeves Match are found in the bulletin for the National Matches at Camp Perry. I believe the bulletin provides that the NRA Conventional Pistol Rules apply to this match, except that guns must be revolvers that comply with Rule 3.2 (the centerfire gun requirements). Optical sights are permitted.
Orpanaut

Post by Orpanaut »

John Hollingshead wrote:
Dr. Jim wrote:Just for those of us who are a little removed from the hub of all things NRA, where might one find the rules for the Harry Reeves match(s).
The rules for the Harry Reeves Match are found in the bulletin for the National Matches at Camp Perry. I believe the bulletin provides that the NRA Conventional Pistol Rules apply to this match, except that guns must be revolvers that comply with Rule 3.2 (the centerfire gun requirements). Optical sights are permitted.
Optical sights are permitted? It wasn't that way for the first few years of the Harry Reeves match, but perhaps things have changed recently.
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

John Hollingshead wrote:
Thanks John, I found them. Seems like I have the option of using either my K-38 or my Model 25-2. Though I don't like the idea of putting a scope on either one.

Cheers -- Dr Jim
oldcaster

Scope on Smith

Post by oldcaster »

If you would like to have a scope put on it without any marks there is one available for Smiths that fits in existing screws. Also if you get a good and patient gunsmith he can drill below your sight without going through the top strap so it can't be seen when the iron sights are back on it and still install a weaver type base that goes on a modern Smith. I say patience because it has to be drilled as deep as possible without going through and really requires a milling machine to do it safely. Then it has to carefully be tapped so as to not put a dent in the bottom with several taps ground progressively down to get threads all the way to the bottom. Then the screws have to be machined to the correct length to get all of the threads and still be tight on the base. I did that on an early model 66 that was part of a collectiion of the twelve revolvers that I couldn't dare mess up and it worked well but took a lot of time.
Dr. Jim

Scope on Smith

Post by Dr. Jim »

Generally I don't have much of a problem with making extra holes in guns - I build odd things like a pure wadcutter S&W model 10 -short cylinder, chopped frame, 5" heavy barrel and old Bowmar rib - but that process would be outside of my tolerances. And since I had my lenses replaced, I can see the irons again - reckon I'll not do scopes on these two smiths.
Dr Jim