haveing fun inside the sport and the tiger woods effect

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

hank2222

haveing fun inside the sport and the tiger woods effect

Post by hank2222 »

when i shoot at a couple of the matchs here and there i notice the something that makes me laugh a little inside about the people and the sport we have chose to shoot in along with this knowage of my shooting programs iam in .. ..me i know i will never reach the highest levels of the socalled shooting world of the airrifle .. maybe combat pistol shooting side of the IDPA but not air rifle ...so me i am happy just to shoot and have fun with the sport and be part of the shooting sports group .

but i notice one thing you have the socalled tiger woods effect that some of the people have when shooting what ever sport there in ..they are a ok shot but there skills to make it to the top are just not there ..but they are the ones who show up with idea in there head that at this point in there life they are going to be a riseing star in the shooting world..

so do you ever just sit around watch the so called tiger woods effect on a person when it comes to shooting sports ..
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

No
mapletune

Post by mapletune »

No.

In fact, I am one of those people who aspires to reach that level of competition.

Frankly though, what other people set as their goal is none of my business. All I have to do is be honest with myself, do my best, and if it doesn't work out, know my limits.

BTW, I hope that's not how you feel about yourself in combat shooting.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Everyone should aspire to rise as high as they can, otherwise I just don't see the point.

And everyone has to learn the skills, and learn how to learn the skills.
Isn't that really the point of competitive sport?
vin

Re: haveing fun inside the sport and the tiger woods effect

Post by vin »

hank2222 wrote:when i shoot at a couple of the matchs here and there i notice the something that makes me laugh a little inside about the people and the sport we have chose to shoot in along with this knowage of my shooting programs iam in .. ..me i know i will never reach the highest levels of the socalled shooting world of the airrifle .. maybe combat pistol shooting side of the IDPA but not air rifle ...so me i am happy just to shoot and have fun with the sport and be part of the shooting sports group .

but i notice one thing you have the socalled tiger woods effect that some of the people have when shooting what ever sport there in ..they are a ok shot but there skills to make it to the top are just not there ..but they are the ones who show up with idea in there head that at this point in there life they are going to be a riseing star in the shooting world..

so do you ever just sit around watch the so called tiger woods effect on a person when it comes to shooting sports ..
In an air rifle match you laugh at people who think they're going somewhere? But you think you could go somewhere in the IDPA?

Vin
WRC

Post by WRC »

As a good hobby shooter (NRA Expert, nearly Master in air rifle), and coach, I see it in those folks that are constantly chasing after equipment rather than just settling down and training the basics first. They are the ones that stop showing up at the club after a little while. Usually the people that will go far are those that first use the club equipment, understand the basics, and ask a lot of questions before getting out the checkbook, or asking mummy & daddy to.

As the saying goes: Beware of the person that only has one rifle, because they really know how to use it. PL
hank2222

Post by hank2222 »

WRC wrote:As a good hobby shooter (NRA Expert, nearly Master in air rifle), and coach, I see it in those folks that are constantly chasing after equipment rather than just settling down and training the basics first. They are the ones that stop showing up at the club after a little while. Usually the people that will go far are those that first use the club equipment, understand the basics, and ask a lot of questions before getting out the checkbook, or asking mummy & daddy to.

As the saying goes: Beware of the person that only has one rifle, because they really know how to use it. PL
you got what i was trying to say out of the five people who posted here ..most of you people here got there undewear in a knot because you thought i was beening mean to the sport ..you have to figure out high can you go with right now in life and still make a liveing and support a family ..that why i can my area of rifle sport shooting basically a old man shooting game for i now have the funds and the time in my life to enjoy the shooting and not have to worry about work or finding time to do this or that with the family ..

i combat pistol because my life and your life is on the line when i pull my pistol so i better be at the top of my game when it comes to that ..

plus this fact i know at my age now i never past a level of shooting with my air rifle to make it to the top..so iam happy with the fact that i do ok and i like to shoot a little here and there in diff matchs and have fun ..

plus with the fact of buying top rate air rifle and it accessories and good jacket and rolled up mat for the shooting i do ..i know that i can hold my own againest the other guys in my little shooting circle ..along with the fact that i can have fun in the sport ..

it like when i play golf with some friends ..they all so ready to be the next tiger woods out there on the golf course there , me if i hit ball and goes saight and close to the hole iam happy why because i have never praticed enough to make it to the top levels of golf like he has ..so i go to enjoy the game and have some fun ..
hank2222

Post by hank2222 »

next time at a match take a step back and take a look at the fireing line ..you can tell who is going someplace and who is not ..the ones who is not is allways saying that the rifle let me down or the sights where not good enough..

it pratice a lot of it .to make to the top ..do you have what it takes to make to the top for the hours of pratice along with supporting your family also comes into play here also ..

i have a group of kids in my homeschooled kids tifle team that use the 4H shooting program to shoot in ..i have three right now that will go to college level rifle team next year ..i know that can out shoot me all day long why it because of the hours of pratice they put into the sport ..me i have to work find time to pratice and still keep the wife happy when iam home along enough to make sure i do not get hit with a rolling pin for not keeping her happy..that was said as joke for both my wife and step daughter both shoot ..my step daughter is going to be at the top of her game here this year when she goes to the one school where they have a full time rifle team beside me and her mom teaching her ..her mom is a pretty good coach to the kids in the program ..

Post by Guest »

Hank2222 I'm glad you're teaching them to shoot and not how to write.

What is a tifle? Is something like a truffle?
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Establishing a training program and getting youngsters to learn the skills necessary to shoot and the discipline to excell teaches life lessons that will serve the participants well for the rest of their lives. Reading seems even more important than writing but arithmatic is higher on the necessity scale for how else can they score their targets. This is somewhat toung in cheek as you caught me in a whimsical moment. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Bill32

Post by Bill32 »

I would imagine the "Tiger Woods" effect is where people see him play on TV, say,
"Hey, that looks easy", then get on the golf course and realise "Hell no, this is hard yakka."

Certainly there doesn't seem to be an opportunity to rake in millions in promotional deals in the shooting sports, at least with ISSF.

Be the best you can be. Can't ask for more than that.