what do you call the special lighter that blackens the FS?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
10mair

what do you call the special lighter that blackens the FS?

Post by 10mair »

What do you call the special lighter that blackens the fore sight? I heard there is one from Europe specially made for the purpose.

Also, can anyone tell me where I can purchase it online? (U.S.)

Thanks
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

The most popular one in Europe, in fact the only one I have seen in the past few years, is the Anschutz Black Match.

Post by Guest »

Can this kind of blackener be used on the rear sight without risk of damaging the micrometer adjustment mechanism?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I use them on my 162EI and LP5 rear sights without any problems.
mister G

Post by mister G »

Can I assume he's talking about the old acetylene (calcium carbide) lighter that we used 40 years ago? Little silver canister, put in a rock of carbide, add 3 drops of water, close it, strike the flint and stand back !!!

I may have an extra but getting the carbide might be dodgey.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

mister G wrote:Can I assume he's talking about the old acetylene (calcium carbide) lighter that we used 40 years ago?
No, I think he's talking about something that looks like a Bic cigarette lighter but has a very smokey flame. It's much less hassle than a Gunsmoke carbide lamp but, IMHO, gives almost as good a result.

http://ahg.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... 07fafdb81b

(They frequently change the lighter style and colour but you get the idea)
Rover

Post by Rover »

I don't remember seeing them in the US, but American shooters have returned from Europe with them and shown them to me.

They are like the "BIC", but filled with acetylene.

The calcium carbide for the "Gunsmoke" is easy to come by and we have several cans around the club for free use by the shooters.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Don Nygord used to sell the"Bic" lighter type, "Anschutz black match" looks like the same thing. Their may be shipping restrictions (acetylene), no one seem to sell them in the USA.

Gort
2650 Plus

Sight blackners

Post by 2650 Plus »

I may be mistaken but I believe carbide and water produces acteline. We may all be talking about the same thing. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Gort

Post by Gort »

Calcium carbide and water make acetylene, versus the acetylene filled lighter.
Attachments
523.jpg
523.jpg (20.72 KiB) Viewed 6636 times
supersmoker.jpg
supersmoker.jpg (31.33 KiB) Viewed 6636 times
Rover

Post by Rover »

Thanks Gort,

Maybe Pilk will pick up on this thread and start selling them.

That HAS to be better than the deviates at the club lighting farts to smoke their sights!
Aussie

Post by Aussie »

An easy option is black hairspray
Xman

Post by Xman »

Aussie wrote:An easy option is black hairspray
I would stay away from the sticky hairspray route. it can gum up the mechcanisms, build up will affect the notch and the blade widths.

You can wash out your hair with shampoo and very hot water, but your finely threaded rear sight ...well I dunno....you can ...if you want to.

The carbide stuff leaves a VERY VERY fine residue that can be easily wiped off with cloth or a tooth brush. I know hundreds of HP shooters that use carbide and the rear sight works never get gummed up with carbide... and they use a LOT of it during a weekend!
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Popular way to blacken sights is to have a small piece of parafin wax in an old pistol pellet tin. Light the parrafin, wave the sights over the dense black smoke and pop the lid back on to extinguish until next time.

Another I saw many years ago was lighting a piece of bicycle tube rubber, blackening the sights then stomping out the burning rubber.
Bill32

Post by Bill32 »

ColinC wrote:Popular way to blacken sights is to have a small piece of parafin wax in an old pistol pellet tin. Light the parrafin, wave the sights over the dense black smoke and pop the lid back on to extinguish until next time.

Another I saw many years ago was lighting a piece of bicycle tube rubber, blackening the sights then stomping out the burning rubber.
If you tried that burning rubber trick in the US chances are you would be charged with unlawful disposal of tires or some other crap.

+1 on the little chunk of camphor in an ap tin, a large flame can also psych out your fellow shooters so a 2 in 1 bonus :)
jimsoars

Post by jimsoars »

Another tip I learned on here was to take a piece of plain old masking tape, fold it together length wise and light it. It makes a great black smoke. I keep a lighter and a roll of tape in my box. Cheap and easy.
Jim
jholtman

Post by jholtman »

I have purchased the black match lighters from "Olympic Marksman Equipment. They are in Canada and will ship to the USA.

http://stores.ebay.com/Olympic-Marksman-Equipment

I have also used the masking tape and have found that also works well, but not as easy as the lighter

Post by Guest »

The Anshutz ligther is a dandy device. I brought back a dozen of them from my last trip to Canada. They last a long time.

Warning, dont get goofy and try to light your celebratory cigar after the match with one - really really screws up a good cigar.
frog5215

Post by frog5215 »

Anonymous wrote:Can this kind of blackener be used on the rear sight without risk of damaging the micrometer adjustment mechanism?
I don't think sooting up an adjustable mechanism is a very good idea.
Xman

Post by Xman »

frog5215 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Can this kind of blackener be used on the rear sight without risk of damaging the micrometer adjustment mechanism?
I don't think sooting up an adjustable mechanism is a very good idea.
First off.. this "soot" is not your garden variety wood fireplace type. The Carbide "soot" is VERY VERY fine and is not sticky or builds up like a wood soot. The carbide soot only coats the parts blackened/in the flame path. I am not saying that you go hog wild on the carbide/acyetelene and blacken up the entire rear sight mechcanism. Thats a real waste and the high heat of OVER exposure MIGHT do damage if done scores and scores of times to the sight mechcanism. You only have to blacken the rear sight blade/notch and the front sight. It wipes off easy with a rag or a toothbrush when the match is done.