Buying a 10 m air rifle and then what?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

10mair

Buying a 10 m air rifle and then what?

Post by 10mair »

I am a non-US citizen and I would like to buy a 10m air rifle from FWB or Anschutz in the U.S. In order to possess and practice 10m air rifle what procedure should I go through? Just like in my country, do you have to get a permit for possessing an air rifle from local police dept. before you receive the product from a retailer?

Post by Guest »

Depends where you are in the USA, but nope, usually no interaction with the police is required. Check the ordinances ("laws") of your municipality (village, town, county, etc) governing discharge (firing) of a gun. Some will not allow shooting (even of airguns) within city limits. Most people, however, are able to fire an airgun inside their house, garage, etc, into a silent pellet trap with no problem. Take this as general advice for you to follow up on, not legal advice!
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

San Jose municipal code

http://sanjose.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway. ... sanjose_ca

10.32.020 Restrictions on weapons for persons under the age of eighteen years.

No person shall sell, dispose of or give to any minor under the age of eighteen years, any pistol, airgun or other weapon capable of receiving and discharging any charge, cartridge or explosive, without the written request of his parent or guardian; and no minor under the age of eighteen years shall have in his possession any such pistol or weapon unless by the written consent of his parent or guardian.

10.32.010 Shooting of firearms prohibited - Exceptions.

A. No person shall fire or discharge, or cause to be fired or discharged within the limits of the city any cannon, anvil, gun, pistol or other firearm, except as hereinafter provided.

B. The foregoing provisions as to the use of firearms shall not apply to peace officers or soldiers in the discharge of their official duties and while in the exercise of reasonable care; nor to a person using firearms in necessary self-defense; nor to persons conducting a shooting gallery who have first procured a license therefor in accordance with the license ordinance of the city; nor to shooting clubs where such shooting clubs are conducted within a fixed place within the city and in such manner that there is no danger to any person whatsoever, provided such shooting club first secured permission from the city manager to conduct the same.

Does not look like you need any kind of registration.
However, shooting inside city limits is restricted to a "safe" range.

I know people will shoot inside their homes. The caution here is you need a GOOD backstop. If you miss the trap, the pellet could go thru a sheetrock wall, and if someone on the other side gets hurt....
10mair

Post by 10mair »

Thanks a lot!!!