type of pellets ok to shoot...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
compscotty

type of pellets ok to shoot...

Post by compscotty »

ok i have a Steyr lp10e on it's way to me in the mail right now...what type of pellets should i use in it?

Should i get various types and see what happens or should i just stick with one high quality brand?

Can i 'train' my barrel over a period of hundreds of shots to accept a certain type of pellet?
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

compscotty:

One interesting fact about airguns is that even when two exact guns are produced, (in this case your new LP-10e pistol) one will like a specific pellet better than the other.

In other words, no two barrels riflings are alike and each particular gun
will have better groupings from a particular pellet.

I highly recommend the H&N Finale match and RWS R-10 pellets.

Kevho
Airgun aficionado from Costa Rica, Central America
Rover

Post by Rover »

Do an archive search here and you'll find everything you'll ever want to know about pellets.

Since you're asking the question, I suspect you are not a world class shooter. Therefore, use cheap(er) pellets because you will not see the accuracy difference (if any) over more expensive ones.
lastman

Post by lastman »

I have an LP10 and it hates the Finale Match.

It goes to show that every barrel is different.

The ONLY way to find out which pellets to shoot is to get all the different types you can find (including weights and sizes) and put down at least 20 shots though a ransom rest.

The type of pellets that give you the tightest group are the ones to shoot.

Just remember that any differences will be pretty small, but in a match could cost you a couple of points. I.e. the difference between a 9.9 and a 10.0

Good luck
compscotty

Post by compscotty »

Rover wrote:Do an archive search here and you'll find everything you'll ever want to know about pellets.

Since you're asking the question, I suspect you are not a world class shooter. Therefore, use cheap(er) pellets because you will not see the accuracy difference (if any) over more expensive ones.
yes i am a novice shooter. But i am a future Olympic medalist for sure. ))

scott
Rover

Post by Rover »

That's the spirit!

Spank 'em and send 'em home in tears!
vin

get a vice...

Post by vin »

Get a vice and test different pellets.
Find the best for your air pistol and buy a sleeve from the same lot.
My testing showed that it does not work just buying the same brand, model, size, and weight. It has to be from the same manufacturing lot...

I am a beginner too (three U.S.A. Shooting events).
For my first "off season" I decided to try a sleeve of RWS Hobby pellets ($46 shipped). I'm regretting it!

Good luck,
Vin
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If you are determined to do pellet testing, several vendors sell "pellet samplers" that have a variety of grades & weights of pellets. That way you don't have to buy a whole tin of every one. It's at least a good way to get started.

I've never bothered to get too finicky. I don't shoot world class scores because I shoot too many 8's (and occasional 7's), which has nothing to do with the pellets. If I do my part and call a shot a ten, it usually is. That tells me my pellets aren't too awful. I do shoot "match" pellets, but I've never noticed a difference between Vogels, RWS & H&N, whether they were individually packaged or in 500 pellet tins. I've had 6 different air pistols over the years, and when I was a tad younger, won the Massachusetts State Championship. I've never had any indication that my choice of pellets was holding me back, and I've never bothered to test them in any of my pistols.

I'm sure I could see a difference in the groups if I tested them. I just don't think the difference between a little ragged hole & a slightly larger ragged hole has any bearing on my actual scores.