pellet prices--is this a hoax?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ronpistolero

pellet prices--is this a hoax?

Post by ronpistolero »

Hi.

I am unsure as to where to post this as I find the price a bit too cheap. Is this a hoax?

http://www.priceinsanity.com/servlet/th ... BBs%2FAmmo

Label says it is "all purpose" pellet instead of "match", yet it sure looks like wadcutters to me. Will this work for our target purposes?

Ron
joker

Post by joker »

Seems like a very elaborate website to be a hoax - never look a gift pellet in the mouth - to use an old English expression.

Wish these were available in UK!
ronpistolero

pellet price a hoax?

Post by ronpistolero »

Hi Joker. Thanks for the quick opinion.

I am a full blooded asian and, with no offense meant, what does it mean when you said that old english expression "...never look a gift pellet in the mouth..."? :)

Ron

Re: pellet price a hoax?

Post by Guest »

ronpistolero wrote:Hi Joker. Thanks for the quick opinion.

I am a full blooded asian and, with no offense meant, what does it mean when you said that old english expression "...never look a gift pellet in the mouth..."? :)

Ron
It's a play on "never look a gift horse in the mouth". When buying a horse one would examine its mouth, teeth, etc. to assess its health. If given a horse as a gift, it's advised not to look too closely for faults; just take it.
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

The actual expression is "don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Joker merely modified it.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/don't_loo ... _the_mouth

Of course there is the collary: caveat emptor, or buyer beware.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Or - if it sounds like too good a deal, it probably is !

Rob.
Oz

Post by Oz »

I've shot these before. They're okay for the most basic training and general plinking. My kids are getting older and I'm sure we'll be going through a lot more pellets soon, just plinking away at stuff, so the cheaper the better. That price is pretty darn cheap. We'll see if it's legit. I just bought two sleeves of them. Their inventory count went from 22 down to 2... so that part of the system seems accurate. UPS shipping was only $14 to ship two sleeves. That seems a little cheap as well.

This is the type of purchase which is best executed with a credit card. Having buyer protection from VISA and my bank makes it a risk that I was willing to take. Heaven FORBID someone uses a debit card for this type of transaction. I'll let you all know what happens.

Oz
ronpistolero

pellets

Post by ronpistolero »

Hi Oz,

Please do keep us informed of the pellets' legitimacy. God forbid they are of varying tolerances, or the ones swept off the floor, or worse, corroded. :-) I know I wouldn't be able to ship them to my part of the world though. Sigh.

Regards,

Ron
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

I did a quick Google and found:
http://www.thefind.com/sports/browse-be ... n-air-guns
Probaly dozens of other places too: don't you giys ever bother to do a search?

$2.99 per box is in the same price range.
Your "vendor" says 2 in stock, so they're probably just selling out.....

But they seem to be cheap everywhere.
Lots of "American" stuff is made in China nowadays, while the quality stuff is often made in Europe with American labelling.

Some of the China pellets are black and we jokingly say that they are molded from nuclear waste. Accuracy may vary a little bit, if Beeman put their name on the box they're probably not the worst.
FredB

don't count on it

Post by FredB »

luftskytter- wrote: if Beeman put their name on the box they're probably not the worst.
Don't count on it. Beeman is a far cry from what it used to be (and even then it was overrated IMHO). When it was bought by Marksman several years ago, quality started rapidly downhill. Now Marksman has been bought by a Chinese company. Beeman is just a name.

FredB
Oz

Post by Oz »

T'wern't a hoax. They showed up yesterday. They only charged me $14 for shipping! That's where I feel a good deal became exceptional. I paid around $40 for shipping the last time I bought 2 sleeves of Vogel's.

Anyway, these inexpensive Beeman pellets are individually packaged tins, ready to display in a store. They proudly state "Made in China" on the front. But they do have a picture of a big grizzly bear. So obviously these pellets are designed to take down grizzlies. That's good to know ;-)

They are extremely well packaged, a thin piece of foam between the packaging cardboard and the bottom of the metal tin, and a piece of foam on the inside between the lid and the pellets. They are _very_ dark in color. The look like a tin of opened 10 year old hobby pellets I found a few months ago in my basement. I supposed this is the 'coating' they are marketing.

The pellets have a wide range of cleanliness. From perfectly shaped and clean, to some with burrs and shavings. The majority of them are actually quite clean and well formed.

Just for fun, I'll see how they group compared to some Hobby and Vogel with a quick bench test in my LP10. I don't expect much. I bought them for plinking outside at cans, chalk disc's and metal swinging silhouette's in my son's Gamo Recon rifle.

In the end, 0.0065¢ per pellet, INCLUDING SHIPPING is a pretty amazing deal. Thanks for the lead. (As in tip, but it also applies to the metal in this case.)

Oz
ronpistolero

Pellet prices

Post by ronpistolero »

Hi Oz,

Just wondering what happened to your accuracy tests? Am very interested with the accuracy of these "nuclear wastes" as luftskytter puts it. :-)

Ron
Oz

Post by Oz »

Yes, I will do that but haven't yet. I'm working on a side project that has reduced my time behind my pistol. If the weekend allows, I'll do it and report back here. I am interested to see the quality difference between these and the Hobby.
ronpistolero

cheap pellets

Post by ronpistolero »

Hi Oz,

Was wondering if you have had the time to test the pellets. Am very curious at how these nuclear wastes go in terms of accuracy. I have tried in vain to check out what its coating is made of. Any feedback on this?

Regards,

Ron
Oz

Post by Oz »

For continuity, I'll post the results of the test here as well. I posted it in the 'coated pellets' thread first.

On par with the Hobby pellets. But the coated pellets feel sharper and harder. Don't know if that's because of the quality or because of the coating. They also required more of a push to load them into the barrel. I'm guessing that it was the skirt that's a little larger since the head is the 4.5 measurement and went in pretty easily.

I always feel obligated to say this after a pellet test, especially for pistol. I'm on board with Scott Pilkington's thoughts... the 10 ring is huge compared to the size of these groupings, the results/scores for 90% of us would be the same regardless of the pellets we use.

Rifle is a completely different story of course...

Oz
ronpistolero

Pellet Prices

Post by ronpistolero »

Hi Oz,

Many thanks for the effort of testing the pellets. You proved that it really is gonna be worth the effort to buying such. Thanks too for exposing your barrel to possible harm. No harm was done though, right? I mean it still is a mystery why the pellets are black.

Regards,

Ron