Add adjustable cheek rest to Super Match 54

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

johnRW

Add adjustable cheek rest to Super Match 54

Post by johnRW »

I'm primarily a pistol shooter, but I've been shooting on a 3P rifle team for the past two years using a Remington 40X with an Unertl scope that belongs to our club. Our league is an any-sights league, so most shooters are using scopes. I've decided it might be time to move up to my own rifle and free the 40X for a new shooter. I've found, locally, an Anschutz 1413 marked Super Match 54. The barrel is stamped "63" and it does not have the adjustable cheek piece. I have yet to shoot it, but it seems to fit well with irons, but the scope is a little high. I have heard that it is possible to cut the stock and fit an adjustment mechanism. Any ideas on the effectiveness of this and the possible cost? There are many other things about this rifle that make it a good choice, but I keep thinking the adjustable cheek rest might be a real problem. Any advice?
WRC

Post by WRC »

You could talk to 10-Ring Service and see if they'll do it. Neal Johnson used to (he has since retired), and the shooter I know that had him add a cheekpiece likes it. Another idea is to just add some material to the stock (removeable) and see if there's just ONE variation you like and keep it that way. Rather than adding all that adjustability, it would keep things simple. PL
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I would suggest the lowest possible scope rings, and some padding taped on the stock. You also may find a bit of comfort in adjusting the buttplate.
ISS may also have the parts and skill to upgrade your stock.
http://www.iss-internationalshootersservice.com/